Wittenburg and Pension Paula - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2014

Wittenburg and Pension Paula

Getting internet has been a major challenge in eastern Germany. We are so behind in doing our journal and maintaining contact with our families via Facetime or Skype. We tried to get internet in Wittenburg. We went to the library and the librarian said "nein" emphatically and so we tried the one of the two restaurants with internet in town. The internet was pretty good but the food was very expensive - so, we asked at the Tourist Ofc. and they recommended a Pension that offers internet and probably costs less than a meal at the cafe. So, we'll stay an extra night and see some more of this lovely city. Plus we need some time to organize a parcel to mail extra things home. We are feeling that we need to get rid of some weight. At this point in the journey, extra clothes seem like an unnecessary luxury and as usual we have accumulated some maps and books that we don't want to throw away.
It will be nice to have a room as the weather just won't settle down. It is not as hot as it was, but the rain and thunder continue to plague us. One moment it is sunny and hot - and then it rains hard with thunder and lightning - and then its sunny again. It is supposed to be better weather in a few days - we'll see!

Pension Paula is a real find. The top floor (4 flights up!) has been remodelled beautifully with 6 guest rooms, a dining room, a kitchen for guests to use and breakfast (45 euros) and internet!! We suddenly realized that it is our 29th Anniversary - we had both forgotten. So, staying here will be a treat for us.

We were awoken early by the sound of our phone making an odd sound. It can't be our alarm - it's too early. What a wonderful surprise - my sister from Canada was calling on Facetime with my mom and my other sister. It has been a while since we have been able to chat and it is so good to be able to see them as well.

One final day in Wittenburg and then we'll head off again.

Oh, almost forgot to update a change in our itinerary. We had intended to take the train (minus the bike and trailer) to Berlin and stay with the sister of a good friend from Canada...then return to our bike and ride to Hamburg along the Elbe. In looking at the map, we thought - why not ride to Berlin and take advantage of one of the many routes that can take us there. After conferring with Cora (our German friend who knows all things about bike routes in Germany) and going to a book store, we have decided to ride north until Havelberg so that we can see more of the Elbe - then we'll take the Havel Radweg (along the Hav River) to Berlin and then possibly on to Poland. Poland is only another 115 km beyond Berlin, so why not? The next decision will be how to get back to Berlin or somehwere along the Elbe for our return to Limburg and the home of our friends, the Reitz family. We'll figure it out as we go.

We constantly remind ourselves that the joy of cycle touring for us is that we never know what each day will bring. It is exciting and keeps us open to the possibilities. It is often a surprise to us where we end up when we finish our day of riding. The distance matters less and less to us - our shared priority is appreciating the luxury of the unexpected moments along the way and the people we meet.

Pension Paula - we're on the top floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woman and her cat waved goodbye as we packed up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our host at Pension Paula.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The breakfast room at Pension Paula.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0