A bit cooler this morning: To Lutherstadt Wittenberg - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2014

A bit cooler this morning: To Lutherstadt Wittenberg

We waited out the weather this morning at camp. We decided, why ride until we have to. In doing so, we got to know one of the residents - a man and his cat. Once again, we had no common language for conversation. Like others we have met in this area, there is absolutely no English and I have trouble understanding the German they speak. Nonetheless, we persevered and I think we understood each other. Our card showing our picture and a Canadian flag seemed to do the trick.
After the morning's rain, we found the temperature easier to cope with. The riding was along an area where we felt like we were on top of the world, as we could see in all directions.
A few days ago we were so impressed by the Cyclist's church along the trail - and today we came upon the Mariner's Church - also designated a cyclist's church. We find these places so welcoming with a space for our bike, benches in the shade and even a WC at the Cyclist's Church in Wessning.
Today was also distinguished by the number of inhabited stork's nests we saw in the buildings. Most of them are alongside the road and the bird's aren't bothered by the traffic. It was fascinating to watch 2 to 3 storks in the nests, busy at work.
As well, the style of houses was very different today as many were made of brick with pretty accents of stonework and different coloured bricks.
As usual, we were tempted by the call of ice cream and we succumbed to the temptation of a deluxe ice cream concoction. It was so good.
Saw one of the remaining historic Dutch windmills along the trail.
The route to Wittenberg has great infrastructure with much information and mapping as well as deluxe covered eating areas. The businesses are very organized with posters showing prices and facilities available in their village. Once again, we are seeing much repair work and construction along the trail. We imagine that there must have been significant damage here last year.
The Rowing Club had a sign advertising 15 euros a person for accomodation including breakfast. The setting is very pretty with lovely grounds and a view of the river. We happily stopped and will stay here a few days. The weather still feels really unsettled, and when we least expect it, heavy rains and winds flare up. It is good to be settled for a few days in a city that offers us a lot to explore.

Some of the people who stay/live at the campground in Dommitzsch. The man on the right was our neighbour and very friendly. He spoke no English but he and his cat tried to visit with me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The campground in Dommitzsch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the local Penny grocery store in Dommitzsch, we took advantage of the Butcher's offering - freshly made schnitzel and potato salad. We find that eating at these places offer the best value and the best food.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYum, that looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakery and the butcher share this space outside the Penny. Both were good places to eat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Storks are clearly not bothered by people or traffic sounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great signage for the Elbe route - even on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Cyclist's Church sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclists Church (also a Mariner's Church) in Priestnitz - Barry is pointing to the flood level in 2002.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that was definitely high water from the flood!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
This ferry is a continuation of the road and not an alternate way to cross as most of these ferries are. Nonetheless, it is not free.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many storks' nests we have seen today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode through massive fields of sunflowers. Judging from the large variety of bread and buns with sunflower seeds in them, you can see why we have seen so many sunflower fields. Canola is also widely grown in Germany.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are a few remaining historic windmills in this region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped for a coffee and ended up with ice cream masterpieces. Yummm!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hot and happy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Every village today has had stork nests. What a magnificent bird to see so closely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stork yoga
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is an area well known for brick buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of activity in this nest - at least 3 birds. Interestingly, small birds also use the nest along the sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map tree
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,404 km (872 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0