Aken to Magdeburg - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2014

Aken to Magdeburg

Started the morning with a ferry ride across the Elbe. We were pleasantly surprised at how strong we are becoming - there were a few hills and it was fun to climb and even more fun to descend.
The Cyclist's Church in Steckby was well worth a stop. This church was built around 1200 and in 2008 became the first cyclist's church in Anhalt region. We love the visiting these churches as they always offer a cool, calm oasis as well as a welcoming spirit for tired cyclists. This church was special as they had left open the doors to the clock tower and we were able to climb to the top and appreciate the age of this building.
After Steckby, we enjoyed good riding on a 2 lane cement track and were greeted at Friederikenberg by old stone gates. The Water Castle at Walternienburg welcomed us with an offer of coffee. This castle from the 14th century has been restored partly and some of the original ring wall remains. A charming glimpse into this time - plus an enjoyable visit with one of the volunteers, Wilfred who spoke excellent English and loved hockey and Canada. Needless to say, we had a good visit.
Today as we rode along the flood plains close to the river, we could appreciate how devastating last year's flood must have been. We see evidence of rebuilding and new dykes and trails. Our Bikeline guide recommended that during flood season, that one should ride on the main road inland. We can see why. Thankfully, for us, we were able to ride this beautiful part of the route along the water.
We have been wanting to camp at more Ruder (Rowing) and Kanu (Canoe) Clubs. They offer excellent value (inexpensive) and provide access to their clubhouse facilities. Usually there is a kitchen, bathrooms and sometimes a lounge. As well, we really like the club members we meet. Generous and trusting - we are always surprised when they hand us a key and make us feel at home.
Not being able to get internet for some time, we could not research where the Club is located in Magdeburg. Happily it was 20 m off the trail as we entered the city. We had a wonderful spot on the river and shared the space with a kayaker who arrived late and left early.

Taking the ferry across the Elbe from Aken early in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steckby Cyclist's Church - delightful
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stecky Church - dating back to 1200.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Typical riding for today. Barry needs to steer well to keep the trailer on the paved track.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYea, you all don't have much of a margin for error when riding that concrete narrow path with your wide load!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The Water Palace
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the original Water Palace has been painstakingly restored - it has taken over 10 years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wilfred - one of the volunteers. Great to talk to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met these two couples - from Calgary, Canada on the left and a couple from the Netherlands - while we had coffee at the Water Palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve and Trudy from Calgary. They are also cycling the Elbe and the Czech Republic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Frederickenberg stone gates - just along the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We appreciated the workmanship of this sign that had been put up by the person who lives along the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old bell in the clock tower of Steckby Cyclists Church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped for lunch at a cafe and were entertained by two stork nests across the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch refreshment
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tasty lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry had a Hungarian soup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We opted to eat outside, but the interior of this cafe/pension was charming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing cakes, made in house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This dog lives at the cafe and was the official greeter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We ate outside and watched the storks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These parents are building up their nest and using materials from a nearby abandoned nest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen's cake - freshly made and yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry had a hazelnut cake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Storks everywhere we look. It amuses us that there is an official cycling route to view storks - we see them wherever we ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sheep are hot too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,643 km (1,020 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0