We spend the day sightseeing in Dessau and then a short ride - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2014

We spend the day sightseeing in Dessau and then a short ride

We have really enjoyed staying for a few nights at the Youth Hostel in Dessau. This city and region is rich with museums and beautiful nature in its surroundings.
Anita is a Youth Hostel employee extraordinaire. She manages the front desk, bookings and generally keeps things running smoothly with a great personality. We also met Vadim, a young man from Russia who is here, with his wife, working for 15 months. We admired his desire to improve his language skills and expand his horizons by working away from home. It was fun to talk to a fellow ice hockey fan - haven't met many in Europe.
This Youth Hostel is located in an old building which has a modern addition inspired by Bauhaus. Usually, when we see a school group arrive, we prepare ourselves for the noise and chaos - however, this youth hostel is different in that the grounds are a kid's paradise with amazing play facilities. Instead of the building being the playground, these kids couldn't wait to get outside and play soccer, use the zip line, etc.
We couldn't pass on the opportunity to tour the Bauhaus Centre and the Meisterhauser (Master Houses) nearby. Dessau is the birthplace of the Bauhaus Movement. Walter Gropius built Bauhaus in 1926 as well as the houses which created a community of artists and creative people who embraced the movement. Paul Klee, Kadinsky are a few of the notable residents of these meisterhauser. We were impressed by the architecture and marvelled at how ahead of their time they were. All of these sites are Unesco Heritage Sites.
As well, we wanted to visit Hugo Junkers' Technical Museum. Having camped at Junkers' Kanu Club and seeing the aviation elements which were built in to the clubhouse, we felt a connection and wanted to learn more. This museum was a highlight. The Museum owner was the grandson of one of Junkers' engineers who specialized in the plane's fusilage section and this museum was clearly his passion and a labour of love.
What an incredible inventor and technical mind Junkers was. His inventions and creations are too numerous to mention. Not only did he design and build the first all metal airplane, he continued to push the standards in aviation and was best known for the JU52. In the museum, we were able to get inside this plane and appreciate his accomplishment.
Like the Bauhaus movement which suffered at the hands of National Socialist Party, Junkers was forced to sign over his company shares and lost control of his company. He died under house arrest, forced out of business.
A wonderful day of learning about incredible people whose passions and work had changed the world.
The weather has become very hot again. We were grateful to have a short ride to a campground in Aken. A small campground with a lovely setting on the Elbe.

One of the Meisterhauser in Dessau. This home was the residence for Kadinsky and Paul Klee and their families. There were four of these Masters Houses in this complex, built in 1926. There was a studio on each side (square windows).Paul Klee lived here from 1926 until 1933 when the National Socialist Party declared the Bauhaus group degenerate artists and were expelled. Some fled Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this charming couple at Bauhaus. They live in Stuttgart and in Brittany. They are musicians, he also cycle tours and was very intrigued by our bike and travels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bauhaus - the main building where the architects worked and designed. Gropius' vision included an apt. block, "Studio" which stands behind, as well as a theatre, cafeteria, etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This couple from Belgium are at the beginning (2nd day) of a round the world ride for over a year. A great way to have a honeymoon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the logo and website for their round the world ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bauhaus shop had very creative items for sale based on their designs. This "sandwich" bike is made of wood and you buy it in a box and put it together.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the four Meisterhauser is a Kurt Weill Centre - a resident of Dessau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Meisterhauser suffered from neglect during the Nazi and Soviet era. They became derelict buildings and were ready for demolition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This home was built on the foundation of Gropius' home in the 50's after it had been destroyed during the war. Recently, Gropius' home, the most significant of the Meisterhauser, had been rebuilt and is part of the Unesco Heritage site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gropius' home in the 1920's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The two destroyed homes have been recently rebuilt - just waiting for windows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Junkers' Technical Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The recognizable Junkers' logo. We first saw this on the Junkers' Kanu Club in Dessau where we camped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Junkers is best known for this plane, the all metal passenger plane, JU52. We enjoyed getting into this plane. Each passenger has a window seat and lots of leg room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We're not sure why this was at the Museum, but this was the kind of racing boat we saw at the Power Boat Races in front of the Kanu Club.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's crazy to watch them race as they lie down head first - very aerodynamic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen waiting for take off.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice and roomy inside that plane! Too bad our present airlines aren't like that!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Disembarking the JU52. We imagine that these days of air travel were a better time to travel. However, this plane had landed on the ice in Norway as it ran out of fuel and it sunk to the bottom. The Museum was able to get this plane and restore it. It is only one of 2 remaining JU52's left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
During the Soviet Era, trucks ran on coal and wood. This added to the incredible pollution and soot in the air.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw many many interesting trucks and tractors here - we thought of Justus and Georg and how they would love this museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Junkers'factory by this point, was taken over by the Russians. These planes were built for Russian use.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sitting on the dock at the campground at Akers. A place to escape the heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These signs are posted along the river for paddlers to know where there are camping and showers available. What is a Blaues Band?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our low key camping place at Akers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Radler Beer (translates as cyclist)- beer and lemon - good for cyclists as it is refreshing and lower in alcohol. This one was the best we've had.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Dutch couple were done in by the heat. We feel like this sometimes too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zip line at the hostel. This was very popular and kids were lined up for their chance to ride it. This was second only to beach volleyball and soccer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dessau Youth Hostel - one of the best we've stayed in. Great building, good facilities, intersting Bauhaus design in the new section at the back and fabulous staff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry's thumbs up says it all - and this is saying something as it was SO hot in the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 1,571 km (976 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0