Magdeburg to Rogatz: Staying at Rowing and Canoe Clubs - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2014

Magdeburg to Rogatz: Staying at Rowing and Canoe Clubs

Inspired by our fellow camper, we got up really early with the intent of riding 75 km. The weather is getting so hot again that we need an early start to survive the day,
A stop in Magdeburg and a flat tire changed our day's plan. We were really impressed by what this city offers - starting with the island and its huge Werder Stadt Park, such natural beauty. The Dom was also worth a stop and a visit. It reminded us a bit of the Koln Cathedral.
Chancing upon the ADFC (cyclist's map source for Europe), a great bike shop, a lengthy visit to an Apotheke (pharmacy) and many wonderful sights in Magdeburg gave us a good day of sightseeing.
We had the extradordinary experience of riding along the river and seeing a bridge over top of us - this is in fact the Elbe Havel canal that transports large ships. What an impressive sight and feat of engineering.
We were grateful to stop at Rogatz Kanu Club for the night. We phoned the fellow who looks after camping, and he gave us a key. A good place to sleep for the night with breezes from the river. A very hot day.

We really love camping at these Kanu Clubs. Mellow, good value, nice people and always situated in a beautiful spot.
Barry in front of Magdeburg Kanu Club.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign shows the "high water" (hochwasser) level of the 2013 flood at the Canoe Club.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing to the island from our campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We camped across the river at the Canoe Club. As we rode through the park on the island, we could see the Dom in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We don't know this man - but he really wanted to visit. He only spoke German and was very keen to show us all of his pictures on his camera!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A school field trip to the Dom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen has gone to tour the Dom, and Barry is visiting with this man and his camera...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close up detail of the Dom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Horseman statue in Magdeburg. The first free standing horse statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the bike shop, Rad Mitte, we saw this bike with two carrier seats for their children. It's also a great bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rad Mitte had great facilities in front of their store. This was a station to pump up your tires.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But we were most impressed with the bike wash machine.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow cool - - a bike wash machine!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The Brooks saddle display was very impressive. All of the Brooks saddles are on display along with a vintage typewriter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rang the bell of the ADFC office hoping that someone would be there. This young man was working at was very helpful and let us look at maps - we even got a cycling map of Poland...a real find.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Green Citadel of Magdeburg created by Hundertwasser. Architecture project was completed in 2005.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Green Citadel is a multi use community of apartments, shops, cafes, even a kindergarten - a magical, whimsical place.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a very unique-looking place!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Leaving Magdeburg, we saw this young woman riding her new Gekko trike. What a great trike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Canal across the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A look at the construction of the canal from the level of the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These guys were cycling and taking a break from their bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot and happy to be at Rogatz Kanu Club.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 1,681 km (1,044 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0