Day 18: To Bassum - To Belgium with Kevin - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2022

Day 18: To Bassum

For basically the whole trip so far we have been dealing with hot, dry, sunny conditions, but last night there were some thunderstorms that knocked the steam out of the weather. Luckily we were indoors at Sven’s apartment of course, and this morning we left and rode out of Bremen in dry, overcast, and much cooler conditions, about ten degrees having been knocked off the temperatures overnight.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

This was good news as it was still 20 degrees and very pleasant cycling weather as we left the city limits and took some paths through fields with airplanes taking off from the nearby airport flying over our heads. We rode about ten kilometres and then took our first break. We needed to do some shopping, so this break took place on some grass next to Aldi. We had been getting a bit low on food, but I soon put that right.

Heart 8 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThat is a lot of food to carry!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

From there we followed bike paths next to roads for the rest of the day. Here’s a picture, in case you forgot what that looks like:

Heart 7 Comment 0

Our second break was at a playground in Fahrenhorst. Here is an image of that:

Heart 3 Comment 0

There were a number of young girls of maybe six or seven at the playground who thought it was great fun to knock on the windows of that shelter and wave at us on the grass outside. Kevin looked at them and smiled; already charming the ladies. I guess he likes the older woman.

He also likes the swings.
Heart 11 Comment 0

After that break we rode on to our hosts in Bassum, on a bike path next to a road. And just in case you forgot again:

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our “one night tent” was great. Sara and Jonas were a friendly young couple who had just got into bike touring and just started hosting people in their fantastic garden. Their house was pretty interesting too- 250 years old and held up with these great old wooden beams, it’s a challenging renovation project for them, but a house with so much character. And the garden was amazing, stretching out such a long way behind the house and with lots of trees and shrubs and also lots of grass, it was a perfect place to camp. We chose to camp at the far end of the garden to benefit from the shade of two big conifers. It was such a nice spot, with fields all around us and horses across the way. We had a lovely evening here making veggie burgers (one of my finer purchases from Aldi earlier). And as I watched the sun set over the fields, going down between trees and wind turbines on the horizon, I felt very content to be out here, and very lucky to be here with my family, a feeling that somehow this is where I belong.

Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 627 km (389 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 0