Day 17: Rest day in Bremen - To Belgium with Kevin - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2022

Day 17: Rest day in Bremen

We took a day off in Bremen today. One of the main reasons we did this was because of how infuriatingly difficult it is to book bicycle tickets for German trains. We plan to take trains back across Germany when we return home in October but it is almost impossible to book everything online or in the app. I was therefore planning to march on down to the train station in Bremen, find someone official looking, and demand some answers as to why Germany of all countries can’t get this right, or failing that ask nicely for them to book the cycle tickets for us. But after about a million hours of research and the advice of Sven, and particularly Matthias, a German cyclist who had stayed with us through warmshowers earlier this summer, taking the fast trains across Germany with bikes was going to be really difficult and we’d be better off buying tickets for regional trains instead. They would be a bit slower and will involve more changes, but the trains are a lot more bike friendly and the price stays the same no matter when we book. So we’ll just sort it all out closer to the time. A lucky escape for some official working at Bremen train station today, then.

Apart from that we did some laundry, planned our onward route, walked around Bremen, and had a nice dinner with Sven (who is an excellent cook!) I didn’t get any photos of the laundry or the route planning, but here are a few of Bremen:

We walked along a moat that would once have formed a wall around the old town.
Heart 7 Comment 0
We saw quite many homeless people and people with problems on our walk. (This is just a statue in case there’s any confusion)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Everyone says “moin” instead of hello in the northern part of Germany, a greeting that has been coming our way from passing cyclists since we crossed the border.
Heart 8 Comment 0
We’re getting closer to Holland!
Heart 8 Comment 0
Old town Bremen is very... nice
Heart 8 Comment 0
It’s nice.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Everything is nice!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Thanks to Sven for hosting us. And check out the thighs on little Kevin, looks like he’s going to be quite the cyclist, doesn’t it?
Heart 8 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNo Bremen town musicians?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Musicians_of_Bremen
Reply to this comment
1 year ago