Singapore to Johor Bahru: Crossing the causeway - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2017

Singapore to Johor Bahru: Crossing the causeway

We set off at about seven thirty after a couple of fried bananas (pisang goreng) at the foodhall at the top of Joo Chiat Street. On the way there we stopped to take a few pictures of the buildings in Joo Chiat itself.

Joo Chiat Street
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that it was a bit of a slog through the busy Singapore streets as we made our way northwards. We tried to stick to the PCN - the Park Connection Network, a loose system of cycle paths that link the major parks in Singapore. Every now and then we wandered off course but we eventually found ourselves in Woodlands, where the causeway crosses into Malaysia.

Finding the correct way for a bicycle to get onto the causeway was a bit of a mission. Bicycles are supposed to use the motorcycle lane across the causeway. The only way to access the motorcycle lane is via the BKE expressway. Bicycles aren't allowed on the expressways. No help was forthcoming from either border officials or traffic police - why would you want to cycle to Malaysia ?

In the end we used the passenger car lane and at the point that the motorcycle lane became adjacent to it, we popped our bikes over the low barrier between the two. Passing through border control on both sides was easy if not a bit hectic with all the motorcyclists speeding around us. One positive was that instead of the usual 30 days to which we have become accustomed, we got 90 days visa free entry, no questions asked - the last time this happened to us outside of Africa was in 2004.

90 Days - thank you very much!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We quickly found our hotel on the eastern side of the causeway. As we checked in the wind picked up and the heavens opened. Welcome the the South West Monsoon season. EDIT: a check on the net suggests this is the dryer of the two seasons in Malaysia, particularly on the west coast which is where we will most likely be travelling.

Our hotel is well past its first bloom of youth but for R200.00 a night (about 70 Ringgit or US$16) we weren't complaining. With the rain chucking down and no Ringgit in our pockets, we decided to try the hotel restaurant for lunch. For 25 Ringgit we got a massive buffet (Leigh says she is full for the first time in weeks) and they changed my Singapore dollars to Ringgit for me.

We've found the Malays instantly likable and we think we're going to enjoy it here.

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,480 km (1,540 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0