Johor Bahru to Pontian Kecil: Bad navigation adds to our distance but doesn't take away our enjoyment - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2017

Johor Bahru to Pontian Kecil: Bad navigation adds to our distance but doesn't take away our enjoyment

We knew that getting out of Johor Bahar wasn't going to be too pleasant because the access roads are mostly big and busy. The first ten kilometers weren't too bad but the access to the Skudai highway left us slightly wary of what may lie ahead.

The first few kilometers on the freeways out of Johor Bahru were quite easy for us but clearly not so easy for this poor driver who couldn't decide whether to stay on the freeway or take the slip road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We popped into a coffee shop to gather our wits and to enjoy a great breakfast of toast and strawberry jam. After cycling around the neighbourhood for a while to look for an escape route we decided to take a more southerly route. That also presented a few challenges as to how to avoid the toll roads and expressways. Eventually, we decided to rely on the nice lady in my smartphone who seemed to plot a workable route on back roads. With the exception of an unnecessary five kilometer on some muddy track (we got sent back by a very helpful truck driver) she plotted a reasonable route for us to use. The route the truck driver suggested matched an alternate route provided by my navigation software.

Soon after getting onto that route we stopped at a Bangladeshi shop for some lovely roti with a curry sauce - at the incredible price of RM1 per roti ! We also found the Malaysian version of my favourite roadside refreshment that I enjoyed so much in Vietnam last year - Revive !

Revive !
Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite all the heat, the to-ing and fro-ing and backtracking, the ride was mostly enjoyable. There are no hills to speak of (a blessing in the heat) and the drivers are mostly accommodating, despite the fact that the roads are absolutely packed with vehicles.

The people are so friendly here. We have many thumbs up as motor cyclists pass us or people chatting to us at the traffic lights. The conversations go along the lines of: "Hullo, how are you ?" - "Fine thank you, How are you" - "I'm fine. Where're you from ?" - "South Africa" - "The land of Nelson Mandela ? Wow ! Where are you going ?" - "Hong Kong" - "By bicycle ????"

We've checked into the Sunflower Express in Pontian. Great room at the price and the bicycles get to sleep on our private balcony (although it was a bit of shlep getting them up the stairs).

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,549 km (1,583 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0