Bang Bo to Chachoengsao: A destination selected because of the route - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2017

Bang Bo to Chachoengsao: A destination selected because of the route

We woke up this morning with the rain pelting down so we were in no rush to get out of bed. We had planned a route towards and past Chonburi last night but this morning we changed out minds and decided to cycle towards Chachoengsao, purely because it would allow us to stay on back roads for most of the way.

As it turned out, trying to get across the three roads rolled into one that lay a few meters north of our digs turned into quite a challenge. It took eight kilometers of cycling around until we stopped one of the locals riding up the road side of the road of the outer of the three roads (there is an outer road plus a highway with an elevated toll road above the two) to find out how to cross to the northern side. The secret was to look for an irrigation canal which flows under the roads - it would most likely have a pedestrian path that could be used by cyclists and motorcyclists.

The only way to cross the freeway
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on the northern side of the roads it still took at least another ten kilometers before we found ourselves on quiet roads. Here we were able to take our time and bird the rice paddies and fish farms along the sides of the roads.

Travelfish, one of our go-to sites for Asian travel information, has very little on Chachoengsao apart from Wat Sothon Wararam Worawihan which we hope to visit later this afternoon.

As it turns out, we never got to the Wat. Instead I gave the bikes' chains a clean and lube and put a lick of Proofhide on the saddles.

Our guesthouse, the Chill Classic, is quite quirky with some nice decorative touches based on a sixties theme.

The Chill Classic
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 5,427 km (3,370 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0