Parque Camping del Rio Baker - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

January 16, 2020 to January 17, 2020

Parque Camping del Rio Baker

We started this morning with Leigh making a frantic dash to the loo and she continued to do so for the rest of the day!

With her being indisposed, we decided to rest at the Rio Baker for the day to allow her to recover as much as she could.  We were a bit shy on food to spend an extra day on the road so to make up the gap, and to try and perk Leigh up, I cycled back to a coffee shop we had passed yesterday.  Here I managed to get Pie de Limon, which is what she wanted, plus some brownies in lieu of anything else more healthy.  Not exactly the safest food for a woman with a dodgy tummy but it was all that they had.  A few beers also found there way into the bag, since beer is good for the belly, and the owners gave me some fruit as well.

Sufficiently stocked up, I was able to spend the rest of the day birding and lazing around the campsite while Leigh rested in the tent between bouts in the banos.

Home for a few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Somehow when things go a bit awry it seems to happen to us in better circumstances than they could have.  We might easily have pushed on a bit further yesterday afternoon and wild camped.  Or it might have been chucking with rain.  Instead we found ourselves in a pleasant environment in which to ride out the storm.  Hopefully Leigh will be better tomorrow because we need to make it to Cochrane by then.

Rufous-collared Sparrow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Black-chinned Siskin.
Heart 2 Comment 0
House Wren.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dark-bellied Cinclodes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Update: The next morning Leigh was even worse.  We decided to try and hitch a ride into Cochrane buy gave up after almost four hours of little traffic and no offers from folk driving vehicles into which we could fit the bicycles.  In the end Leigh went back to bed and the loo and I went off to find some food (with less success than the day before).  Later in the afternoon three Argentinian couples arrived on their bicycles and they gave us some instant mashed potato to help settle Leigh's tummy.  I had bought some stale pan and a couple of beers from the Cafe up the road so I could survive until the next day.

Today's ride: 9 km (6 miles)
Total: 952 km (591 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat bird pictures!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill. Birds always keep a tour interesting.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago