Trepassey to St Vincent's - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2012

Trepassey to St Vincent's

Before leaving Trepassey, a town which is a shadow of it's former self following the sudden collapse of the fishing industry in the early 1990's, I was able to get some wifi to quickly check emails, and found out that our ferry crossing from Argentia to Sydney in Nova Scotia had been cancelled due to Hurricane Leslie. After a phone call to the ferry company, our crossing had been changed to Thursday. That means that we have even more time to get to Argentia, but the small matter of a hurricane heading our way complicates things slightly. After another phone call we had reserved rooms at a B&B in St Vincent's, a short distance away.

The road to St Vincent's was, like so much of Newfoundland, an absolute pleasure to ride. After a long climb we were on a high plateau where caribou can often be seen migrating, riding through more barren land and maybe seeing only 10 vehicles. The wind had really started to pick up strength, and it was much warmer than I expected.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After descending a beautifully smooth fast road with a tail wind to St Steven's we met Rita, the landlady from the B&B at the Interpretative Centre, and then crossed the spit to her house at St Vincent's.

Looking across to St Vincent's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back across St Vincent's to St Steven's. There is the sea to the right and Holyrood Pond to the left of the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the afternoon we walked up the hills to the top of the cliffs overlooking St Vincent's and St Steven's, through some often boggy but berry filled ground. Have I mentioned before how delicious the wild blueberries here are? Again, the wind is getting stronger and stronger, and anyone you stop to talk to talks about the approaching hurricane. When we returned, Rita offered us "a taste" of her stew, and followed it up with some homemade blueberry pie.

Mmm, tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whale Song B&B. A great place to stay, where Rita and Ned are guaranteed to make your stay truly memorable.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 7,604 miles (12,237 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0