San Juan Island to Mill Bay - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2012

San Juan Island to Mill Bay

I like ferry journeys. A day with a ferry journey in it is going to be a good day. A day with 2 different ferry crossings in it is a really good day.

Todays first ferry left Friday Harbour just before 10, I had to leave today as it seems only right to leave via Friday Harbour on a Friday. As the ferry terminal was a 10 mile ride away, it meant an early start (by recent standards), leaving enough time to say goodbyes to the others on the site.

Rolling off the ferry in Sidney, there was immediately a different feel to the place - it must be the Canadian factor. After obtaining maps from the Visitor Information and checking arrangements when I could get my netbook to behave itself, I headed to the Brentwood Bay for the first of many BC Ferries crossings, this one to Mill Bay, then onwards to Chez Grampies on the Go, where fellow crazyguys Steve and Dodie Miller had kindly offered to put me up, even though they were absent, as heading to Europe to start a journey of their own.

Canadian flags everywhere you look in Brentwood Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of B.C. Ferries finest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rest of the day was spent chatting to their house sitters, catching up with internet stuff now I finally had some wifi again, and marvelling at the ease with which a kettle boils, and the softness of a real bed.

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,653 miles (2,660 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesHey Tim - nice to read you again on this wonderful new site. We are just finishing up our tour of the Yucatan and will be returning home in 2 more days. Every once in a bit we remember the time we hosted you in our absence. If you are ever out that way again please get in touch and maybe we can try it again, but this time with us actually present. The Grampies
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Tim HathawayYes, it would be great to actually meet you in person, although having read many of your journals I feel that I know you pretty well already. It's not often that we get down to the Island, but I can assure you that when we next do I will be in touch.
Cheers,
Tim
Reply to this comment
6 years ago