Rest day at Winnipeg - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2012

Rest day at Winnipeg

After 725 miles of riding without a day off, today was my legs lucky day. I had arranged with Daniel, my great warmshowers host to stay at his place for 2 nights, and today I was heading downtown to sort out my list of jobs which had been growing.

My Sealskins waterproof socks had been leaking in the dry (not) prairies, my stoves windshield had almost split into 2 small ones, and Kate has an air bear scare horn which I just have to have, so it was down to MEC, the Mountain Equipment Coop to spend some money. After nearly 4 weeks in Canada I decided it was finally time to buy a SIM card for the phone, especially since I am now riding with company and communication can be a real problem in rural areas. This was however easier said than done, and after many trips into numerous outlets I was finally able to buy one. I guess it is a sign of ageing when you think a teenager would have accomplished in minutes what it took nearly half a day to do!

Half way through sorting out the SIM card I needed a break, so headed down to the free jazz concert that had been staged as part of the Winnipeg Jazz Festival.

Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way back to Daniel's I spent an hour at the Railway Museum, where as well as some great exhibits had some really good photo's showing the development and maintenance of Canada's railways through some really harsh northern winters.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After cooking Daniel a curry I cleaned and measured the bike's chain, and to my suprise it is still within wear limits after 3,600 hard miles. Maybe more expensive chains really do last longer, as claimed by their manufacturers...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0