Port Townsend to Anacortes - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2012

Port Townsend to Anacortes

After waking up to the sound of the birds I was soon packed away and having said good bye to Neil, was on my way again. Not far yet, only to the ferry terminal to catch the ferry to Whidbey Island, which went easily, or you could say it was plain sailing. Thanks to Neil, through Fort Ebey on the other side and avoiding the traffic for a few miles, before re-joining the busy main road all the way to Deception Pass.

View from the roadside on Whidbey Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Since seeing pictures of Deception Pass a while ago, I knew it was a place I just had to go to, and being there in person did not disappoint. It was built during the big road building phase of the 1920's and 1930's, and spans 2 large high gaps over turbulent waters with it's riveted steel construction. There is no shoulder for cycling, just a very narrow footbridge, so you can battle with the other pedestrians or wait for a large gap in the traffic and pedal like your arse is on fire. Just past the Pass is a shop serving ice creams. Today has been a lovely day without a single cloud in the sky, just right for eating one. I wasn't paying attention when the lady prepared it, and I nearly fainted when I saw the size of the monster she had prepared. It nearly took 2 hands to carry it. I did manage to polish it all off though.

Deception Pass Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Deception Pass Bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After eventually tracking down a shop to buy a decent map of the San Juan Islands, I made my way to the Washington Park Campground. Being unwilling to spend $17 on a site, I found another person alone on one and we agreed to share it, he was Thomas, who is preparing a yacht to sail to Oregon and then live on, and had slung a hammock between 2 trees to sleep on. Shortly afterwards Neil, a fellow crazyguy and his wife Janice also joined us. They had just returned from a week touring the San Juan's and were full of useful tips and advice. Again, what could have been a quiet night alone was quickly transformed into a great time with strangers who soon became friends.

Washington Park Campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,466 miles (2,359 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0