Ponteix to Assinaboia - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2012

Ponteix to Assinaboia

Yesterday was a gloriously sunny day, and I was a little late applying sunscreen so got slightly burnt. I resolved not to make the same mistake again, so applied some before setting off this morning. This was a waste of both time and sunscreen, although it maybe made me smell a little better.

On the way out of town I saw 2 fellow bicycle tourists at the grocery store drinking a coffee, so went over to say hello. Kim and Debbie are also heading for St Johns, Newfoundland, having set off from their home at Grand Forks, B.C. Having stood around for maybe 45 minutes talking to them, we set off and rode together. They are very good company, and before I knew it the day was done and we had arrived at the campsite.

Debbie and Kim at downtown Ponteix.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A herd of buffalo seen from the road. They originally came running towards us, then when they realised we weren't going to feed them they lost interest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Very soon after leaving Ponteix, as is quite common in the prairies, the weather turned, and it rained virtually non-stop all the way to Assinaboia where we shared a campsite at the town's campground, $13.65 with free showers and highly recommended.By now the weather had fortunately changed, so we were able to dry things out and end the day in the dry.

Home for the night, with 3 Long Haul Truckers.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Highway 13, the Red Coat Trail, has turned out to be an excellent choice of route. The road has very little traffic, good shoulders most of the way, varied and interesting scenery and friendly people. The services aren't too frequent, but by enquiring about the next stretch you can make sure you have everything you need.

Today's ride: 74 miles (119 km)
Total: 3,171 miles (5,103 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0