Mill Bay to Parksville - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2012

Mill Bay to Parksville

Any attempt to start the day early were thwarted by a comfy bed and some wifi, enabling me to skype my daughter and parents. Time spent more productively than just pedalling.

Cool farm produce stand.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After nearly wearing out my new bargain $3.99 sunglasses yesterday, they changed place with the gloves in the handlebar bag today. After travelling through quiet backroads past many small mostly organic farms and lovely countryside, the first stop was at Chemainus, a town wrongly famous for the murals it's residents have painted on the side of buildings depicting life in days gone by, when really it should be noted primarily for the Utopia Bakery Cafe. Having been deprived of even the slightest hint of Indian food (my favourite) whilst in the USA, the mulligatawny soup was top of the list, followed by what was probably the best apricot danish pastry I have ever had the pleasure to sink my teeth into.

Do you notice how the tubas keep reappearing?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the REAL reason to come to Chemainus!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The biggest problem of the day I was facing was forgetting that all distances are now in kilometers, but it was a relief when I finally realised a posted distance was 50 kilometers, not 50 miles. The rest of the days riding was mainly on the shoulder of the main highway heading north, to the Rathtrevor Beach Campsite as recommended by Nigel, a lovely site in a great location. Even though this is the Victoria Day long weekend, the weather had scared away the less hardy so there was plenty of space for a little one. After having eaten a massive pile of pasta suprise (I might be needing bigger pans soon) I spent the rest of the evening chatting around a campfire with a couple of girls from Victoria until the rain decided it was time for bed.

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 1,780 miles (2,865 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0