Francois to Pools Cove - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2012

Francois to Pools Cove

It's been a while since I have had to set the alarm clock, so this mornings 7am ferry took some preparation. This ferry only sails once a week, so if we were to miss this one it would have been a problem, although there can't be many places as good as Francois to be stranded at. It was the same ferry that bought us to Francois, the Marine Voyager, with the same cheery crew with thick, almost unintelligible accents.

Emily and Brent about to descend one of the many great hills of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some more of today's great scenery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry dropped us at Hermitage (after first calling at McCallum), and there were strong tail and cross winds, which together with some great hills helped me smash my previous top speed of 52mph, and replace it with an even more credible 56mph (90kmh). Pools Cove was the end of the road for us today, as the next ferry we need doesn't leave until tomorrow, and we were offered camping between the Town Hall and the Rec Centre (Youth Club).

Pool's Cove.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before long the local kids had turned up, and they were lots of fun, as I am sure we were for them. They helped erect the tents and cook dinner, and my puncture repair kit came out for the second time of the trip, and I repaired the flat on "10's" bike. I always struggle to remember peopes names, and when I said this to the kids and suggested we should all have numbers, the idea stuck and we were all "named" according to our ages.

From left to right; 8, 43, 9, 7, 10, 33, 17.
Heart 0 Comment 0

7,8 and 9 took us to the local well for water where there is a trout swimming in it to keep the water clean. It was crystal clear and tasty as most of it is in this area. There was wifi from the Rec Centre which we were able to use to update journals and keep in touch via email, and after beating 10 at pool (only just) it was time for bed and to reflect on another fabulous day.

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 7,249 miles (11,666 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0