Bay Center to Montesano - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2012

Bay Center to Montesano

Back in the tent meant another good night's sleep last night. After saying good bye to Andrew, and complimenting the campground owner on his great site, I was on my way again. The first two towns I came across, South Bend and Raymond, although just about touching could not have been more different. South Bend was an old fishing town, full of charm, and like the good looking sister that gets all the attention, whilst Raymond, an old lumber town, lacked any charm and was full of box stores - a bit like the ugly sister that only gets noticed at the end of the night when the lights are about to come on. Having said that, it did have one redeeming feature, among the many 'rusty sculptures' was this one...

Rusty sculpture.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The riding for the rest of the day was through forests with lots of logging trucks. They get lots of bad press, but I don't think they deserve all of it. Ok, so they thunder up and down the roads hardly stopping for anything, but they always pass wide where possible, and if you keep an eye on the mirror you know they're coming, and some of them even give a quick blast on the horn when approaching to warn you of their presence - as if you couldn't hear their engines screaming.

From this...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...to this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I found a great lunch spot not far from the road with a stump just the right height to sit on and with easy access. I was happily filling my body back up with calories when a guy in a pick-up pulled in. He'd seen me at the side and had turned back to check all was OK, as he'd seen my bike lying on it's side. After a chat he was on his way, leaving me to marvel at the kindness and generosity of so many people I have met so far.

I saw 6 other touring cyclists on the road today, the numbers seem to be increasing steadily as the weather improves, although didn't get a chance to stop and talk to any of them. There are 3 others at the Lake Sylvia State Park Campground, which is where I am spending the night tonight, a beautiful site, well away from the noise of the roads, with lots of trees, and a lake that is popular with swimmers - but not this early in the year! Two guys are nearing the end of their trip from San Francisco to Seattle, travelling light and fast, and a girl from Canada is heading down to California. There was lots of route comparison and advice swapped, and good chat had.

Home for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,296 miles (2,086 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0