Yes! We have no bananas - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2021

Yes! We have no bananas

Hells Gate state park to Clarkston, WA out and back

This morning dawned cool and cloudy, so after breakfast, we drove over to the Washington Wally World to do more shopping (mainly because it was close and also required masks). It probably seems to you all that we do a lot of grocery shopping, but we only cook meals at home (no eating out right now) and have limited storage space for fresh food. 

By noon, the sun had come out and it had warmed up enough to do another tandem ride. I suggested that we cross back over to Clarkston and follow the river north to see more of the Banana Belt.

We took the same bridge across the Snake. This time Don planned ahead and downshifted into the granny so we could actually pedal all the way up the steep on-ramp. It was a thigh-burner, but we did make it this time without walking!

Once we got to the other side, we rode the trail north through some parks. One of the trees along the path had some strange fuzzy balls hanging from the branches. We later identified it as a sycamore tree. Not a tree we see around Denver.

Since we had already walked a Walmart and planned to go back to the Elk's and dance tonight, we opted to do a shorter ride. So we only went as far as the confluence with the Clearwater River, then turned around.

Once back in camp we spent some time putting away everything we had set out since there is rain predicted for the next 2 days. We leave here on Sunday and it looks to be a wet break down. Yuck - no fun even with a trailer!

As Don was cooking dinner a couple of touring cyclists came by our site. Don stopped them to see what their story was. 

They had been on the road 3 weeks and were headed for Eugene. But the campground is full and they didn't have a reservation, so were seaching for a campsite. We would have offered to share our site, but didn't know if that was allowed. Don said later that they were able to talk to a ranger and find a spot in an overflow area. It would have been fun to talk to them, but we were leaving for the dance. 

The rest of the evening was spent dancing again to the Singing Mailman. There were a few more people there, but we still had plenty of room on the floor.

The singer actually told us he had researched tango music that he could play and found one - Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison! Ok, we told him we would give it a try. It wasn't exactly a true tango piece, but we had fun making it work. 

We danced until our legs pooped out and then headed back to the campground. It had been another full day of fun!

This cool tree carving was outside the Army Corp of Engineer's building. Can you spot the tiny face below the owl?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The carvings continued all the way around the tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there were more!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found " The Boys"! Lewis and Clark traveled through here (hence the names of Lewiston and Clarkston". We rode the L&C route several years ago. It was one of my favorite tours because of the history along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a riverboat cruise ship called the American Pride. If you have the bucks (cabins with balconies run over $5000 per person!) you can take it from Portland to Clarkston along the Columbia and Snake rivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our evening ended at the Lewiston Elk's, dancing again to the "Singing Mailman".
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 miles (19 km)
Total: 825 miles (1,328 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0