Take me to the river - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2021

Take me to the river

A different viewpoint

I was surprised this morning that we both felt pretty good after our long ride yesterday. Just a few tight leg muscles. Don said if we had been touring, he would have been good to go again. 

But since we have other options, he suggested that we try the kayaking again. He had talked last night to a trailer near us that was carrying kayaks. They told him that they had been on the Snake River down near the bridge and that the water was very placid - more like a lake than a river with a current. Since they had young kids with them in their own boats, we thought it would be perfect for us beginners. It was also going to be another hot day in the 80's.   

Since we still had to wait a bit for it to warm up, after doing our computer work, we drove over to Best Buy to purchase a waterproof camera. They had a small one that we thought would work for our purpose. It wasn't a fancy one since all I wanted were a few pictures of the scenery, but the price was right. 

Then we continued over to the launch site which was down in the bottom of the canyon at a park next to the golf course I took a picture of yesterday. Once we got the boat pumped up (always a chore for Don), we carried it down to the dock for canoes and kayaks. It was a really interesting design that helps you launch your watercraft without capsizing. That's always a plus!

Out on the water we found it very smooth and calm. There were lots of other kayaks out enjoying the day. Don wanted to try to get to the bridge so I just leaned back and enjoyed the ride as he paddled. Oh, I helped here and there, but paddling still agravates my tendonitis despite wearing my elbow and wrist supports.

The views of the canyon were great and the fall colors were also very nice. We also spotted a couple of pretty waterfalls. 

When we reached the bridge, we went a bit further up the river, then turned around. You could continue further to Shoshone Falls, but it's an 8 mile round trip and you have to portage around some rocks. Nope, not for us.

We kept watch for the B.A.S.E. jumpers taking off from the bridge, but were always missing them with the camera. They're pretty quick! I thought they landed in the river, but there was a wide spot off the water at the bottom of the canyon that had a landing zone with a path going back up to the top.

Eventually we made it back to the dock and lugged the boat back up to the parking lot to deflate it etc. (another chore - ugh). I envied the folks that had rigid boats. 

By the time we got back to camp we both collapsed as we were pooped! And dehydrated as I had no water with us. My concern is contamination with river water. Both of our lower backs hurt and my tendonitis had flared up, even though I had thought I was taking it easy. In addition, my ankles and feet hurt because of the cramped leg position. I told Don that there was no way I would kayak again. I was DONE! He did admit that maybe we had done too far today.

Don had also kept shifting around during the entire trip as he just couldn't get comfortable in the inflatable seat which has no lower back support. Plus he was sitting in a puddle of water by the time we got back and thought Sprite might have a leak. Sheesh - we only had had it out 3 times! 

I was equally uncomfortable in the seat, leg position and even with the life jacket as it rides up to my chin no matter what adjustments I make with the straps. 

Bottom line, we've decided that while we both have enjoyed being on the water, doing it in this inflatable kayak just isn't going to work for us. We felt we had given it the 'good old college try' but we're going to get rid of the boat. 

Since we didn't pay much for it and given the fact that it could now have a leak, we were going to take to just donate it to a thrift store down. But Don said he would first walk the campground tonight and see if there were any people here that would like a free kayak. 

Success! One of our neighbors had kayaks on their truck and said that they would happily take Sprite off our hands as they had grand kids that would enjoy it. They even gave us a bottle of wine! 

We both felt good about the decision as we don't have to haul it around any longer and then try to sell it at home. We'll do more research to see if there is another type of watercraft that we could carry on our trips - maybe a canoe. 

Years ago we had a canoe that had a little battery trolling motor on it that would sure help with our paddling. We'll see. Don suggested that we try renting some different boats to see if there is something out there that would be comfortable, easy to transport and affordable.

The evening was spent relaxing and enjoying a dinner with a grilled pizza that Don makes from a gluten-free pizza mix that uses almond flour. Very tasty with fresh veggies on top! He even boat some huckleberry ice cream at the camp store for dessert!

Since we were were both totally exhausted from our boat ride, it was early to bed. Tomorrow is another travel day as we head south to Utah.

This unique dock was designed for 1 long canoe or ridged tandem kayak and 2 shorter ones to launch at once without fear of capsizing. You sit forwards or backwords in your boat and place your paddle in notches on each side of you. Then you push or pull, adjust to the next notch and continue this process until the boat is fully in the water. It worked great!
Heart 0 Comment 0
And away he goes!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such beautiful fall colors and cliffs!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More fall scenery along the Snake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eventually we made it to the Perrine Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quite a structure from this angle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These B.A.S.E. jumpers are checking and packing their parachutes. We did see a few jump the past couple of days but could never get the camera focused fast enough to catch them in the act.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0