Falling for the Snake - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2021

Falling for the Snake

Jerome to Twin Falls loop

It was another cool, fall morning so as we waited for it to warm up a bit, we drove over to a farmer's market that was being held a couple of miles from the KOA. 

The market was a small one with mostly craft booths and canned foods like jams and pickles. But it did have one good produce booth that had an interesting variety of items at cheap prices. 

The seller said the items were from her aunt's garden and we filled up a couple of bags - honey crisp apples, golden raspberries, peppers, eggplant, and squash. It would be great to have my own honey crisp tree!

At another booth we bought some fresh eggs that I'll boil up to put on salads. We had hoped someone would be selling locally made cheese but that was a no go. So we settled for some Portuguese cheese that sounded good. 

I had seen that there was a farm in the area that sold huckleberry cheddar cheese. Now THAT sounded tasty! But I couldn't find any retail stores around that sold it, although you can order any of their cheeses on-line and they'll ship it to you. I might do that when we get back to Denver. 

By noon it had warmed up into the 60's so we headed out to ride. This time we went south along Highway 93 to the Perrine Bridge which crossed the Snake River. There was a pedestrian walk-way on both sides of the bridge, although we had to walk one part because of the many people stopping to admire the view.

On the south side we turned west along the Canyon Rim trail where we continued to have views of the spectacular canyon. That trail didn't last long which is too bad, but it did kick us out onto some pleasant country roads. 

We rode for a few more miles, then turned around to retrace our steps back to the bridge where we continued east on the trail along the other side. This section wasn't all that flat and we had a couple humpers that we had to walk up. 

As I trudged along behind Don on one climb, I grumbled at a group of obese women riding e-bikes that zoomed by us - not pedaling at all. Especially when one commented that it was a steep hill, wasn't it? Yeah, you cheater, at least I'm getting exercise! Get onto a regular bike and maybe you'll lose some of that weight!

We rode all the way to Shoshone Falls which were just a few trickles due to the low water flow. At this point we turned around and headed back to the bridge. 

Other than the falls and more spectacular views, there wasn't much to see other than the take-off ramp that Evel Knievel used in his attempt to cross the river (he failed). That was one crazy man!

When we got back to the bridge, we crossed over and then explored a road that went east along the east side of the canyon. It went through some BLM and state lands with more arid, desert views rather than the canyon. 

We saw a few RV's camped here since they allowed dispersed camping. Don commented that we ought to look into "Boondocking" here the next time we visit the area. That might be interesting to do if we could get the trailer over to the canyon edge on a road that wasn't so rutted. 

To truly boondock, you have to be prepared to have no services. That means plenty of fresh water which you ration, use of solar panels (we have 4 on the roof of Tango), good batteries (we've already upgraded to lithium) and basically conserve your water and waste water. Also run a generator - we have 2 that run on propane. Hmmm......maybe for a few days. 

When the road deadended, we turned around and returned to the campgound on Highway 93. It was hot now - in the 80's and I really felt the sun beating down on us as this last part of the ride was slightly uphill for several miles. 

I wish I had had the forethought to fill the stainless bottles today as the ice had long ago melted in the plastic bottles. At least I still had cold water in my Camelbak. I continually squirted water on my thighs and lower legs to help cool them as these are perfect conditions for developing the heat rash on my legs. I did have some.

I told Don the climbing seemed to be easier than I thought it would be, but he said the highway was so busy and noisy that he just wanted to get off of it so was ramping up his speed. 93 was certainly doable with its wide shoulder, but it's not a pleasant road to ride.

By the time we got back home we both collapsed in the shade with some cold drinks trying to rehydrate. It had been our longest ride yet and on one of the hotter days we've seen in a while, but it was still enjoyable. 

I don't know yet what we'll be doing tomorrow. Maybe ride, maybe kayak on the river or just take it easy. 

PS: sorry for the dot on some of the pictures. I had a smudge on the camera lens. 

This is the Twins Sculpture that was created in 2008 to represent angels or guardians of the the surrounding landscape. The city had to install rocks around the base to keep people from trying to tip it into the canyon!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the base of the west side of the canyon there is this scenic golf course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Perrine Bridge. It spans the Snake River and was rebuilt in 1975. It is 1500 ft. long with nearly 500 ft. to the canyon below. It's the 8th highest bridge in the US and was named for I.B. Perrine who spearheaded the the early irrigation projects in the Magic Valley and founded Twin Falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the Snake River looking west.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a VERY steep and winding road that goes down to the golf course and river. This sign was at the top. Heaven forbid that a cyclist would impede a motorist! Kelly - Jacinto would love doing this climb!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We encountered a few fences with these 'love locks'!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off the trail we rode through a nice housing development and saw these flamingos in Bronco's colors. Not OUR Denver Bronco's. The Boise State University football team is also named the Bronco's. As there is no professional football team in Idaho, fans really get into this college team.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we rode out into the country after the trail ended we saw this field of beans. They looked to be left drying in piles along the rows and maybe will be harvested soon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I opened one bean pod and this is the type of bean that came out. Perhaps some type of pinto? I read later that the Magic Valley is a huge bean growing area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the take-off ramp that Evel Kineval used on his 1974 attempt to jump the Snake River canyon in his steam powered rocket ship. The ship's parachute deployed prematurely and it did not make it across, although it did save his life as he floated to the canyon floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shoshone Falls would be a lot more spectacular in the spring with a higher water flow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kayakers were out enjoying the river on this hot day. The river looked very placid so we might investigate getting Sprite out on the water tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There aren't any pretty aspen here but the fall colors in the desert are nice - the golden grass interspersed with red and green shrubs along with yellow rabbit brush. I often think about the early Oregon Trail pioneers that traveled through this region. It had to have been quite the challenge navigating their wagons through the sage brush and lava rock, and having the only water available down in the canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltTumbleweeds!

https://www.desertusa.com/flowers/tumbleweed.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill - that's kind of what I thought too but have never seen them so red.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 746 miles (1,201 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0