Take me home country roads - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2021

Take me home country roads

Meridian to Nampa loop

Since it was going to take awhile to warm up this morning, we used the time to run a few errands. We took the tire rim over to Les Schwab Tire to purchase a new spare tire, back to Walmart to get a couple of things, Lowes for more shopping and finally drove a potential bike route. 

By the time we got back it was time for lunch and then we took off on our ride. It was another beautiful, clear sunny day here in the Treasure Valley! So nice not to smell smoke.

Don had found us some better roads to ride that took us west, then south to Nampa. There were a lot more large farms and we saw fields of corn, peas, carrots, onions, sugar beets and even a vineyard. 

While we did have to ride a couple of busier 4-lane roads to get out of town, the 2-lane country roads we found were much quieter. Although we passed lots of areas where there new housing developments. I wondered where they get all the water for these homes. Maybe from the Snake River? Or aquifers? 

Down in the valley just west of Meridian it was flat but as we went south we encountered a BIG ridge and a bridge that took us up and over the interstate. That was quite a climb that was made more difficult when Don couldn't downshift correctly/fast enough and we ground to a halt! So it was back to walking until we got past the steeper section.

On top of the ridge we had a great view of the valley below us. We thought it might be flatter on top but we did find a few little hills. There were lots of larger farms and homes that had acreages with various livestock. At least the roads were quieter here.

We puttered along and when we reached the airport in Nampa, we turned around taking a different route home. Back down in the valley traffic was heavier as it was now the start of rush hour/schools out with busy roads again. But we made it back to Tango in one piece! 

Tomorrow we pack up and move a little further east to Jerome which is near Twin Falls. Hopefully that KOA will be better than this one with more space between sites and not so many long-term residents.

This was a really nice bike trail we took for a short way but it soon ended in dirt. It was strange that this developer put in the path before building the homes. Perhaps this is going to be a draw for buyers?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Onions!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was on the road. I think it's a sugar beet?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Treasure Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a vineyard on top of the ridge. There were no signs that indicated it was part of a winery so maybe it was just for the homeowner?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peas!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carrots were planted with the peas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neat yard ornament at this house that was across from the airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My roadside haul today - black walnuts and a HUGE onion! These were in the road so no worries - I didn't trespass. Fair game I say!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 786 miles (1,265 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0