Looking for fruit in Fruita - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2021

Looking for fruit in Fruita

Yet another Fruita loop

We both woke up stiff and sore this morning - legs from the longer bike ride yesterday and upper back/shoulders from the kayaking. My lower back was really sore and my arm/wrist/forearm tendonitis was still bothering me. 

Once we had breakfast and moved around a bit, we decided a short bike ride would be good to help loosen up the legs. So we loaded up Garfield and headed down the campground trail toward Fruita. 

At the signpost, we turned east on a trail spur that took us into the town and into a neighborhood where we found dedicated bike lanes. When that road ended, we hung a left and went west on Highway 6/50.

This road took us out into the country past many farms with horses and cattle. But no orchards or vineyards to be seen - just alfalfa fields. While there was more traffic here, we had a decent shoulder. It was nice to see some of the countryside. 

Going west we had a good tailwind since our gusty winds were back. After we had gone about 5 miles, Don turned the bike around and we retraced our route back to Fruita. This time we had a headwind -yuck! Oh, and we also were smelling some wildfire smoke which was starting to irritate my throat.

Back in Fruita we wandered around a bit through some neighborhoods, enjoying the nice turn of the century homes before returning to the trail. 

We were only out for about a hour and a half which was more than enough for us. It was already starting to heat up by the time we got back to the trailer and we immediately turned on the air conditioners.

After a short rest, we drove to a nearby grocery store to restock our food. The afternoon was spent showering and I did a couple of loads of wash since this campground had washers and dryers on site. That's a great privilege that most state parks in Colorado seem to provide.

We've enjoyed our time here, but tomorrow it's time to move on into Utah.

We spotted this cool vintage Airstream in downtown Fruita that had been turned into a hair salon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of our ride today took us past many farms outside of Fruita. If we were here longer, we could have explored more of this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the highway we rode past this drilling business. Oil shale drilling is big in this region of Colorado. This was one of several that we saw today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back in town we saw this neat sculpture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At another house, the owners had lined the top of their fence with ducks and put a turkey on the stump. Can you spot the flamingo?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most all of the underpasses on the river trail have very nice murals. Not sure what this one is supposed to represent.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 1,090 miles (1,754 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kelly IniguezIf you feel like eating out tonight, the Hot Tomato pizza place is ‘the’ place for pizza.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago