Zwaan - Scaling the Alps to the Italian Lakes - Tally Gals - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2023

Zwaan

First shake down ride

After a leisurely morning and a fortifying breakfast at our hotel zur Traube we hiked with our luggage to the Löf train station.

Our hotel in Löf
Heart 0 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerLove the architecture and style of the hotel.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The view across the Mosel
Heart 1 Comment 1
greta combsThis is the beautiful scenery we saw when we drove along the Mosel river valley with our son Jacob and wife Karen. We spent about 3 days doing this, including hiking up some mountains to visit castle ruins. Boy, were those mountain sides steep! In eastern Ky. we have a saying about something that steep - it's "steeper than a mule's face".
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

 We rode the train  along the Mosel to Cochem where we are to meet the Zwaan our hotel boat.

The Cochem train station was a very interesting building
Heart 1 Comment 2
Lynn WalkerWhat a view!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
greta combsJust in the five weeks you have been gone, you can see autumn coming to the hills and forests.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Another hike and we made it to the boat, a few minutes early. Loaded our luggage on board and met up with our guide. Our guide is Albert the same guide that we had four years ago when we did the tulip tour on the Zwaan. Then it was off to find some lunch, and hang out until 3:00 when we could board the boat. 

Our boat the Zwaan with the Cochem castle in the background
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerAnother incredible view!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerPretty view! An amazing couple 😊
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

At 3:00 we met the other passengers, two Canadian couples and tested out our bikes, adjusted seats etc. then we took a short shakedown ride along the river down 8 km crossed the river and rode back. The trail along the river is flat and the only hills we had were getting up to the bridges crossing the river. The bikes are nice, not terribly heavy and we can back pedal them! No coaster brakes! Yahoo!!! Nice bikes.

We only have eight people on this trip all with cycling experience.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerCurious why back pedaling is an issue…. I probably need to buy an e bike to understand 😊.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our ride this afternoon we saw lots of vineyards and our guide told us that most of the small vineyards along the steep sides of the Mosel are family farms. They are subsidized by the government so they will continue to farm the land. It is very costly to grow grapes on the steep slopes because it is very expensive to grow and harvest on the steep slopes in comparison to the flat land. They have to have special equipment. Even with the subsidy it is difficult to make a living unless they also open their vineyards for tours and tastings and promote their wines in other ways.

The Zwaan is docked across the river from the main part of Cochem with a great view of a castle and the riverside medieval buildings. We enjoyed sitting on the deck enjoying the view. 

Great view from the boat even with the sun setting and low light
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Blog posts may be a little sporadic this week. In order to conserve power they turned off the Wi-Fi when the generators went off and they were running on battery power.  

Looking forward to the ride tomorrow!

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 162 miles (261 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lynn WalkerThanks for the heads up on blogs! Enjoying your tour through your blogs and pictures.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago