Medieval castle day - Scaling the Alps to the Italian Lakes - Tally Gals - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2023

Medieval castle day

Burg Eltz

We are making our way towards our bike and barge bike tour. We left Frankfurt on the train headed for Löf a tiny town along the Mosel river.

Frankfurt’s main train station
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historic pictures of the train station surrounded a building site
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A market set up in the train station
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for our train. Welcome to the newest Tally Gal to join us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our train, waiting to take off.
Heart 0 Comment 1
greta combsI love train stations - this one is very beautiful. I always wished we still had our little gothic train station here in Hazard.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way to Löf we were serenaded by a group of young girls singing “I’m a Barbie Girl” at the top of their voices in a high pitched voice trying to sound like Barbie. Yikes! Next they treated us to a rendition of YMCA….. all of this with German accents….

A highlight of the train ride was seeing the castle hotel we stayed in the last time we were here high on its hill across the Rhine river.

Auf Schönburg Castle in Oberwesel on the Rhine
Heart 2 Comment 1
greta combsThis is rather a forboding site - I'm glad I didn't get called to the principal's office here!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We arrived at the Löf train station sort of…. There was no station just a bump in the track and steep stairs to get down from the platform. We walked to our hotel which was lovely.

On the way to the hotel. The bike path was nice and smooth for rolling suitcases much better than the cobblestone sidewalk.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our hotel Zur Traube
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a wonderful lunch at the hotel restaurant we visited Burg Eltz. Burg Eltz has been owned by the Eltz family since at least 1157 when their ownership was documented. In the 1400s, the Eltz family comprised three brothers and their families. Each family built a house in the castle and those three structures remain today.

A great example of an intact medieval castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The history of Burg Eltz
Heart 0 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerInteresting history!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The designs on the walls and ceilings were marvelous
Heart 1 Comment 1
Heart 1 Comment 1
greta combsImagine how cold this room would have been in the 1100's!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A place of humility, there you see clearly: That you are only a person who is not allowed to keep anything! (Bertoli Brecht)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking up the entranceway to the castle you can clearly see the erosion of what May have been steps at one time.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then back to the hotel and a wonderful dinner, probably the best on the trip! Tomorrow on to Cochem and the Zwann our Hotel Boot!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0