Worked off today’s treats - Scaling the Alps to the Italian Lakes - Tally Gals - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2023

Worked off today’s treats

Lots of climbing today

Today we had several climbs with switch backs, over 4000 feet in about 42 miles. We ate lunch in Gruyere and visited a medieval town complete with castle that sits on a precipice with farming valleys on either side. Obvious climb up. This time walking the pedestrian paths to the town.

Gruyère a one street village the home of Gruyère cheese
Heart 2 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerThe architecture is breath taking!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerBeautiful church.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Gruyère castle
Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
For lunch we had traditional fondue made with the famous Gruyère cheese. Did you know that it is generally served with potatoes and bread?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerLearn something new everyday. Fondue looks scrumptious.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago


Then we rode down hill to the Cailler chocolate factory and tour. Did you know it’s the only chocolate made with whole milk?   Needless to say there were lots of dairy cows along the way. They each wore a cow bell and we rode along to the music of their bells creating an interesting Cacophony of sounds across the meadows.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathryn ZiewitzGood one! Dream come true.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Lynn WalkerThe scenery is breath taking!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lynn WalkerThe scenery is breath taking!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our ride was longer than the standard tour and took multiple navigating apps to keep on course. The bike tour company provided an app with navigation and also emphasized the need to download Swiss mobility an app designed for non motorized travel. We would have had a real problem navigating without Swiss mobility and our trusty ride with gps app. 


 A few roads were closed due to construction. Lots of fun when you just climbed a mountain- fortunately one of the road crew guys spoke enough English to point and say we just needed to go back down to the next intersection and turn left and left. Yeah!  Back on route.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Kathryn ZiewitzMon Dieu! Quel problème!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

We rode through beautiful country on narrow roads and paths. Up hill and down. Through small towns and well thought out paths through larger towns. But the piece de resistance was a ride through a lovely forest arriving at a surprise resort chalet style hotel with 3 heated pools with jets and waterfalls, both indoor and outdoor with more features than one can imagine. In our room was a liter of fizzy water and half a dozen meringues with a note stating simply, with compliments. Definitely feeling pampered. Tomorrow it’s back up hill through the forest and down bicycle route 9 to Gstaad. Rain is in the forecast for mid afternoon with highs of mid 80s, 10 degrees cooler than today. 

Bicycle route 9 will be our friend for the rest of the trip!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerDoes it seem like a trek when the scenery is so pretty? Enjoy the cooler temps while Florida bakes.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Our hotel for the evening
Heart 0 Comment 0


Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 688 miles (1,107 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kathryn Ziewitz68 km, way to go!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Laurie KoburgerHow much of the climbing did you have to do off the bike? Or did they give you enough boost that you were able to stay on the bike?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jane FletcherTo Laurie KoburgerSo far the bikes have had plenty of power. I have been surprised with how much assist they give when you bump it up for a hill. Much better than I expected.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago