Riding the Valleys - Scaling the Alps to the Italian Lakes - Tally Gals - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2023

Riding the Valleys

The ride today was gorgeous, a bit overcast and definitely cooler with a high of 80! We began the ride with an uphill climb back through the forest and to Gruyère resulting in a spectacular view of the castle from this approach. Most of the day was spent winding our way through rolling farmland, valleys, and small villages surrounded by mountains. Needless to say there was some climbing, an elevation gain of 2800 feet in 34 miles. 

Up and down through the forest
Heart 3 Comment 1
Heart 5 Comment 0
Gruyère castle high atop its hill
Heart 2 Comment 0


The route mostly followed bike route 9. There were several times that the route merged onto a major road. The drivers were respectful. We had some short unpaved sections, gravel somewhat chunky. A quick downhill mountain bike moment. Which if that is your jam, we saw signs and cars loaded with mountain bikes. Gstaad seems to be a biking center for road, mountain gravel and ebikes. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of cows everywhere
Heart 3 Comment 0
More hairpin curves, unfortunately we ride this one up before realizing that we took the wrong left turn….
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kathryn ZiewitzUh oh! Tallahassee strong, no worries!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have seen so many beautiful views, valleys, and mountains. But it doesn’t get old…
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Today we rode through lots of small towns and farming communities
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0


We are currently in Gstaad, a ski town. The lift and slopes are literally outside our hotel window. Primary languages here seems to be German and French. Definitely seeing and hearing more German. We had a little rain the last 5 miles. Currently at about 4000 feet above sea level. The windows here have no screens and no problem with bugs at all and the humidity even on a day with rain was only 50 percent. Pretty amazing for these florida girls.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Since we arrived early in the afternoon we had time to eat, shower and take a ski lift up the Wispile mountain. We hiked to the top, took pictures of the cows in the high meadows, the surrounding mountains and listened to a 4 piece accordion band, 3 on accordions and one bass player. It was senior day! Several seniors even got up and danced. 

Heart 4 Comment 2
greta combsOne of my favorite books when I was young was Heidi. I used to dream of sleeping in the grandfather's hay loft. This beautiful picture makes me think of taking the goats up to pasture.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jane FletcherThe scenery we are riding through really does evoke the story of Heidi. We’ve seen lots of goats and cows in the pastures. It’s amazing how far up the pastures go.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Laurie KoburgerLove this picture of Marcia!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lots of cows who were very used to being around people
Heart 3 Comment 1
greta combsAnother Heidi picture, except the cows should really be goats!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
We didn’t quite have the right footwear for hiking in a pasture strewn with cow patties
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mountain to restaurant
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had a 360 degree view of layer upon layer of mountains from the top
Heart 4 Comment 1
Heart 3 Comment 0
We were entertained by traditional music by 3 Accordians and a base. Lots of lively tunes and some folks got up and danced.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head on to Interlaken.



Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 646 miles (1,040 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lynn WalkerAbsolutely gorgeous scenery!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago