The Real Scoop - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2019

The Real Scoop

On the Sound of Music and Marcus Sivitics

Today was a second touristy day. We took a sound of music bike tour and rode the bus out to Hellbrun Palace. Did you know that the outside scenes were shot in and around Salzburg? We rode to most of the places that the movie was filmed and learned some little known facts. 

Ready to sing our way through the Sound of Music bike tour.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our guide for the tour Claudio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The horse fountain where Julie Andrews splashed the water in the fountain. Julie had a box to stand on. It’s harder to splash without a box...
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the catacombs which served as inspiration for the graveyard scene in the movie. The actual scene was shot in Hollywood on the set.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the chapel by the catecomb. This chapel was used in the scene where the nuns are singing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Claudio demonstrating where the ironwork was cut and welded back together so the camera could shoot through the gate. This is the gate Julie Andrews walked out when leaving the abbey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Courtyard in Nonberg abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
The door into the abbey
Heart 2 Comment 0
The abbey is where the real captain Von Trapp and Maria were married. The movie filmed the wedding in Monce which is a few towns away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the house that was used as the back of the von trapp villa. It is now a hotel and was not the von trapps’ house. They lived in a nice house elsewhere in Salzburg but it wasn’t a palace.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is outside the Abbey where the Von Trapps made their escape and the Nazi cars wouldn’t start
Heart 0 Comment 0
VonTrapp house number 2. This house was used as the front of the House in the movie. Now it is part of the university music school and is used for housing and practice rooms.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the two gazebos used in the film. This gazebo was just used as a background in the garden outside the house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gate through which Julie Andrews entered the estate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Skipping down the lane in front of the Von trapp home. We didn’t manage the two heeled side click that Julie Andrews did for the movie...
Heart 4 Comment 0
At the gates to Nonberg Abbey looking for Maria. They wouldn’t let us see her...
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had fun, thanks Fraulein Maria’s bike tours.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Joanna Southerland sGlad to see no rain gear (-:
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Marcia MealeTo Joanna Southerland sHa Ha, just a shower or two.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

After lunch we took the bus out to Hellbrun Palace and it’s trick fountains. Caution cover your electronic devices you will get wet! First we toured the trick fountains and then the palace.

Hellbrun palace built in the 1600s by Markus Seviticus the archbishop to entertain friends and impress foreign dignitaries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Courtyard at the palace
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first water feature we saw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When he entertained guests at this table he would douse them with water. The place at the head of the table is the only one that wouldn’t get wet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The video above is of a Moving mechanical model drIven completely by water power and built 270 years ago. Even the organ is run by water power. No electricity involved.
The levitating crown is also driven by waterpower alone.         
In the 1600s they had lots of art work featuring wildlife real and fanciful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 1,360 miles (2,189 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Sandy OsteenLooks like a fun tour. Fascinating what they could do 200 years ago with water.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago