Trieste to Venezia Mestre. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2023

Trieste to Venezia Mestre.

We awoke this morning and realized that our trip is quickly winding down and our thoughts have now turned to getting ready for our flight home.  I suppose it shouldn't surprise us at all since this was only a three week trip, but travelling by bicycle has its way of warping time and space, and feels much longer that it is.  

It's all very strange how the end of a tour happens so suddenly, and we're always surprised at how abruptly it all ends; how quickly our thoughts and focus turn towards getting ready for our return home; the details of packing our bikes, getting a shuttle to the airport, checking on flight times and getting the last of this journal finished up occupy our minds.  

It's at this point in the trip that things are a little bitter-sweet.  You don't want things to end, but you're also looking forward to going home.  This is the juxtaposition of travelling.  You always need some kind of home to be able to go away.  Unless, you're a certain intrepid CycleBlaze couple that I know that wherever they lay their hat's that's their home, and every day is a travel day.  You know who you are.  

When we woke this morning in Trieste, we had breakfast, checked out of our hotel and schlumped our bikes out onto the busy Trieste streets, and walked our bikes to the train station, just two blocks away.   Thankfully, we were at the terminus of a trainline, so we had plenty of time to board.  It was also a train where we could easily roll on our bikes instead of lugging them up a couple of pitchy stairs.  So, we settled in for the two hour ride to Venezia.  

After two hours, we were ready to get off the train, and soon we were riding back through the streets to Mestre back to the same hotel that we stayed at when we first arrived almost a month ago.  Our bike boxes were thankfully still there.

Trieste train station.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back to the beginning, once again.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A great place to stay, if you ever find yourself here.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Phew. The bike boxes are still there! Thanks Google Translate with the help for my cardboard sign.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tomorrow the bikes go back into the boxes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A walk around Mestre.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Mestre.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mestre.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I suppose at some point, I'd like to write up a little reflection on this trip.   I believe that reflections need time and space, so let's consider this journal closed for now.  Our attention for tomorrow is focused on getting ready for the flight home.  Thanks for following along.  It's so nice to have family, friends and fellow CB'zers to share this tour with.  Ciao. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonThanks for the ride! And enjoy being back home again. Believe it or not, we too look forward to our own down time. Rachael was almost giddy in the car yesterday driving through the Columbia Gorge, enthusing over how great it will be to stay in one spot for awhile and just do whatever she wants when she wakes up.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rich FrasierIt was great fun following along! And I've added some new places to check out on bicycle tours thanks to your adventures. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rich FrasierHi Rich. Thanks for following along. It was fun sharing our adventure. Hope to follow your adventures in the future! Cheers.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonHey Scott. Glad to hear you'll have a chance to spend some time at 'home'. Always look forward to reading about your adventures daily.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago