Bovec Hike. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2023

Bovec Hike.

The data in this map does not accurately show our route. More of a 8km hike with an elevation profile not as irregular as the one shown on the map. A nice solid hike with some ups and downs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's ironic that the weather began to improve as the van pulled up this morning for our shuttle ride to Bovec.  But, how long would that last?   We knew we made the right decision.

Our hero, Katya has arrived. She took control right away and I just followed orders.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was about an hours drive to Bovec.  Along the way, I had an interesting discussion with Katya, our driver, about many topics ranging from weather to clouds, to her experiences living during the breakup of Yugoslavia, to the former Yugoslavia leader, Tito's underground nuclear bunker and airfield, and her own experiences during the transition to Slovenia's independence as well as the gobbling up of previously state owned businesses and institutions by greedy oligarchs.  An interesting fact that I learned was that Yugoslavia had once the world's fifth largest military.  The hour went quickly, and we arrived in Bovec around 10:30am; a little too early for our hotel check in.  But, we were able to drop off our bikes and panniers and set off to explore the town.

A stroll through Bovec.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Post it note board. Bovec hostel.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So, we wandered around Bovec and had a coffee at the local hostel until check in.  Bovec is an outdoorsy and young town, and its tourism is based around activities like river rafting, canyoning, zip-lining and hiking.  It's also a visually stunning place, with the towering Julian Alp rising above town in every direction.

After check-in, we were right out the door again on a hike to Slap Virje, one of the dozens of waterfalls found in this region.  Because of the karst limestone topography, water easily carves it's way through the mountains, often flowing through caves and seemingly straight out of openings at the sides of the mountains.

The hike was about an hour each way, but it was a muddy affair after all that rain this morning.  Below are some pics of the day.

Sue leading the way towards Slap Virje.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Look at those greens. I learned that this region tends to get a lot of rain throughout the summer months. Go figure.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 2
Christy McTaitHoliday smiles are always so open and natural! Just beautiful ❤️
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Christy McTaitAwe. Thanks Christy. Sue's beginning to unwind! Thank god!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Any entomologists out there?
Heart 4 Comment 6
Bill ShaneyfeltA fly... It has some characteristics of deerflies, but lacks defining ones in structures such as antennae and mouthparts...

There are thousands of kinds of flies...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Bill ShaneyfeltDuh on my part. But, it sure is a handsome fly.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Patrick O'HaraI would have tried to photograph it too... "tried."

Really nice macro shot!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraHa ha. Thanks Bill. I thought so too!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonBill beat me too it, so it looks like you already know it’s a fly.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonBut, it's such a pretty looking fly.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a maidenhair fern.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/75609-Asplenium-trichomanes
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks Bill. I thought so. We have these in BC, but this one is so much smaller!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Cat on a hot tin roof!
Heart 4 Comment 0
It's always good to look behind you too.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hazelnuts.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Identification please?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltA bellflower.

Possibly nettle leaved bellflower.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks Bill! Such a pretty little flower!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slap Virje with some people in for scale. The sheer volume of water running was staggering. We put on our rain jackets because the sheer force of the mist would have soaked us right through in a few seconds.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Some interesting reading about the karst geomorphology in this region.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Return to Bovec.
Heart 5 Comment 0

So, even with a change of plans we were able to visit this amazing place.  If we had gone over Vrsic Pass as planned, we certainly would not have had the energy or will to go on a hike.  Serendipity ruled the day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Scott FenwickIt is a shame that you had to miss on your planned route through the Vršič Pass. It looks like it would have been a challenging and rewarding ride, especially with loaded bikes. I think that one day I would have like to have a look at too. But it was also nice to stay dry and have a great plan B - no doubt thanks to your sober second thought logistical coordinator. A great addition to any cycle touring team!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott FenwickHi Scott. So true. Sue is the smarter and more commonsensical one of this duo! Cheers.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonIt looks like a fine day, but I’d love to see Vrsic too. We had Lao planned to bike it back in 1998, but were scared off by the snow. We took th3 train through the mountains from Bohinj instead.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonHey Scott. You guys have sure been around. I suppose Vrsic is always there in case we want to return one day. Like you both, we have been lucky enough to have our fair share of riding classic passes and cols over the years. Sue and I are truly amazed at how you both still do it.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonI’m glad you were able to get a hike in. It looked like a wonderful hike!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonIt really was.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago