To Ondarroa - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2023

To Ondarroa

We're feeling strong after a day off, ready to ramp up the distance and hillwork today. The bags are easier to pack now that there's less stuff to deal with and we're rolling just after 10. 

Starting off on the bike path gives us one more lap by Playa de la Concha. Most of the pedestrians are on the promenade except for a runner who catches up to us every time I slow down or stop for a picture. I hear his shoes flapping behind me on the path, a little incentive to pick up the pace lest I get lapped. 

Morning in San Sebastian
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The nice flat warmup lasts exactly one mile, then we start the climb of the day up Monte Igueldo, a 4+ mile trip. I love how all the cars all give us a comfortable amount of space as I wobble up the steep parts. Looking up  laws related to bicycles, I find that Spain has a 1.5 meter bicycle passing law, almost five feet. What a country.

Definitely feeling lighter today on the hills
Heart 3 Comment 0

The sun shines as we pop out by the ocean and join the other cyclists out for a morning ride.  We've been lucky with the weather since starting off from Montpellier the first for October. The highs have been in the upper 70s to low 80s every day . It's expected to be pleasant for three more days before the rain starts, long enough to get us to Bilboa. 

Looking back at the tower we climbed yesterday on Monte Igueldo
Heart 2 Comment 0
Enjoying another gorgeous day
Heart 2 Comment 0
We'll ride by el Mar for most of the day
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsShadow selfie!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsBy golly, you're right!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
All the climbs will be good training for Mallorca
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ocean to the right, fields and coastal mountains to the left
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cows del dia
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There's a lot of shade on the hills
Heart 2 Comment 0
More of this please
Heart 4 Comment 0
So many delicious scenes
Heart 3 Comment 0

Just before the town of Orio we meet a hill too steep to push the pedals around even in the granny gear. It gets me thinking about second breakfast. We're in luck! Orio has three panaderias.

Steep, but short climb before we drop to Orio
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roadside art
Heart 3 Comment 0
The harbor in Orio
Heart 2 Comment 0
We're both wondering what that big white tube is near the bow of the boat?
Heart 1 Comment 4
Scott AndersonTuna cannon.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rich FrasierTo Scott AndersonHaha - I think they run the net through it when they pull it in - keeps the net and its contents from flopping all over the place as they pull it in.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rich FrasierThese are both useful purposes. Thanks guys.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rich FrasierAh, mystery solved. Thanks Rich!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A peaceful morning on the Oria estuary
Heart 2 Comment 0

After passing half a dozen walkers with backpacks it dawns on me that we could be riding on the Camino de Santiago. Sure enough, we're on the northern route with the pilgrims. It's a beautiful way to walk to Compostela along the sea and farmlands.

Passing one of the backpackers on the Camino
Heart 3 Comment 0
A lonely road, just us and the horses
Heart 5 Comment 0

Approaching Getaria there's a long level stretch on the edge of the water. The scene reminds me of the northern California coast in the way it winds around the bays, but without the crashing surf on the rocks.

Getaria ahead
Heart 4 Comment 0
Railings of the day
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lunch stop in Getaria
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pintxos are good for a quick meal, no waiting, and there's gelato across the street to top it off.
Heart 3 Comment 1

Continuing on after lunch, the level course along the coastline takes us to Zumaia to start another climb up to a ridge. It's good and warm at 80 degrees now and the shady road is really nice.

Fuzzy pic I took while rolling, but you get the idea
Heart 2 Comment 0
The reward at the top of the ridge
Heart 3 Comment 2
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonThis is such a beautiful coast to ride along. Really glad we could work this area into the plan.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
On the bridge to a tunnel
Heart 3 Comment 0

This is longest ride we've done loaded in quite some time and our seats are getting uncomfortable. We bang out the rest of the course and arrive at our hotel in Ondarroa, Arrigorri Ostatu, perched on the cliff above the beach.

The sunbathers have cleared out by the time we go out for better look
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rocks glowing in the last rays of the sun
Heart 3 Comment 0

Most of the restaurants here are a kilometer walk into town by the map, but we cover more ground wandering around in search of something besides all the bar pintxos that look tired.  Two restaurants have full menus but they only serve on Fridays and Saturdays. At one bar the server kindly writes down the name of a restaurant for us that's open tonight. Fish dominates the offerings, but there's also a pasta bolognese. That sounds safe enough. How hard can it be to make spaghetti with meat sauce? Pretty hard it seems. Beefaroni rivals this stuff. Oh well, it's filling enough.

Pedestrian bridge into old Ondarroa. If you're coming here, try to make it on a Saturday or Sunday to have a better chance for dinner.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Get your beefaroni here
Heart 1 Comment 0
I do like the lights on the church by the harbor
Heart 3 Comment 0

We're happy for the beautiful ride today and fueled up for another long one tomorrow. Hoping for better victuals at our next stop  in Bakio.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today: 37 miles, 3,095 feet ascent

For the tour: 344 miles, 16,787 feet ascent

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 345 miles (555 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonLooks like a gorgeous ride!
On many occasions I have been passed by walkers because I stopped so often for pictures.
Germany also has the 1.5 meter passing law. We are spoiled and complain bitterly if someone doesn't observe it. Should be thankful that most drivers do!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Suzanne GibsonThe law sure makes the riding so much more pleasant. We haven't had a close pass since Rovinj, Croatia, 2 weeks ago.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago