To Bakio - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2023

To Bakio

Our room at the Arrigori hotel is one of the larger ones we've stayed in. It's a bit cool in here, too early in the season to turn the heat on apparently. There's no balcony in the room, but the window has a great view of the sea from our cliffside perch, and a terrace downstairs by the bar where we can sit and take it all in. 

Gleaming hardwood floors and printed sheets, a nice change from the usual blah all-white palette.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A peek through the window
Heart 4 Comment 0
And one from the terrace by the bar
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Arrigorri, the hotel name, is in Euskara, the Basque language. I wonder if they use sharpies to write the distinctive letter forms with extra flourishes. 

Taking off at 10:30, a little late considering the long hilly course ahead
Heart 2 Comment 0

The ride this morning is delightful, weaving between the forest and sea views. We're on smooth pavement with mostly bikes and walkers for company. Most of the cyclists are roadies; there are few ebikes to be seen. The run between Ondarroa and Lekeitio appears to be a popular training route judging from the cycle traffic. One guy who zipped by us had his son drafting behind. He looked to be 10 or 11 years old and I was impressed with his cornering skills, really leaning into it. They were moving too fast to grab a picture. 

My favorite kind of road
Heart 3 Comment 0
Jackets come off as soon as we pop out into the sunshine
Heart 3 Comment 0
Much of the road is forested with peaks through the trees at the ocean
Heart 4 Comment 0
A giant cliff rises around us
Heart 4 Comment 0
They all easily pass the tourists on the folders with baggage
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first beach sighting is around noon coming into Lekeitio
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Lekeitio
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beachgoing riders have the skills for toting around chairs and surfboards
Heart 3 Comment 0
Uphill past Lekeitio, farmhouses by the sea
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wouldn't it be wonderful to see this at home in the states?
Heart 5 Comment 0
Hello my lovelies
Heart 2 Comment 0
After the first 10 miles the real work starts on a 6 mile ascent. Barry manages this hill in the saddle, I'm bringing up the rear on foot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Standing up to pedal to give my rear a rest, I actually get ahead!
Heart 3 Comment 0
We passed these gals back in Lekeito, now they're leaving us in the dust and having the best time.
Heart 5 Comment 0
One glorious scene after another
Heart 2 Comment 0

My poor Spanish is sorely tested at a restaurant just past Guernika. We both recognize hamburguesas which sound great but the server shakes his head no, "fini." How do you run out of hamburgers? I take the Escalope de Pollo to be some kind of chicken cutlet but it's actually chicken-fried steak, and Barry is happy with that.  The Alitas de Pollo do turn out to be chicken wings and they are tasty. 

We better get back on the road. It's going on 3, and there's another hill-fest still ahead.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After lunch a long bike path takes us north along the estuary back to the ocean. Tree roots have pushed up to make it a bumpy ride, but when we bail out to the road a few motorists let us know they are not pleased. It's not that busy on the road, but fine, have it your way. 

We round the corner in Bermeo and start the second major climb of the day, a four+ mile grind that peaks at Gaztelugatxe. It takes us a good hour+ to pound it out. 

Meanwhile Cian, our Airbnb host tonight in Bakio, has been sending a steady stream of messages asking about our progress, and are we on ebikes, and do we need a ride. Tempting, but no thank you. 

The long bumpy path through the 'burbs
Heart 2 Comment 0
Above Bermeo
Heart 2 Comment 0
We do have a lot of shade on the way up
Heart 2 Comment 0
I'm happy for a litte break to take a photo for this fun bunch.
Heart 4 Comment 0

At last we come to Gaztelugatxe, the islet made famous for its starring role as Dragonstone in the Game of Thrones. A small hermitage there, known as San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, dates from the 10th century. I understand you can make a reservation to hike out there. We're knackered and fine with having a look from the mainland. Another bonus of this stop- ice cream from the food truck!

I have no clue how to even pronounce this.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonYou need a reservation to walk out here now? That must be the GoT effect. We just walked out nine years ago. It wasn’t even terribly crowded.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonYes, I read you even have to make the reservation the day before. There was a crowd, and a full parking lot.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
It would be cool to see the arches that the sea has cut through the stone around the edges.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From there we get to coast downhill for three miles into Bakio, then there's one last wall to climb up to Cian's flat. He's on the fourth floor of an apartment building that sits on a cliff overlooking Bakio and has an amazing view of the town. 

Cian's messages through the Airbnb app continue after we arrive, with restaurant recommendations, an offer to make reservations, suggestions for things to do in Bilboa and updates on the laundry he is doing for us. The message count is up to 19, the most communication I've ever had from an Airbnb host. It's weird to think about him hanging out our knickers to dry while we're out at dinner, but it sure is nice to have clean stuff again.

The last hill that bested us both
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beach in Bakio from Cian's big picture window...
Heart 3 Comment 0
...and the terrace
Heart 5 Comment 0
A happy end to a great day
Heart 3 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonI’m confused about how the Airbnb host got your laundry. I thought the message was sent when you were on the way there.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonHe kept sending us messages after we checked in, even when we were standing there in the same room, so funny. I loaded the clothes into the washer and he took it from there while we walked to the restaurant. This is the only Airbnb I booked for the trip. It worked out well
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith ClassenThat’s a lot of climbing…you should sleep well tonight.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith ClassenI feel it Keith, now scrutinizing the schedule to see how many more days like this lie ahead.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Today: 38 miles, 3,833 feet ascent

For the tour: 382 miles, 20,620 feet ascent 

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 383 miles (616 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ginny and Pete DarbyWow—what endurance, what scenery. You two are amazing.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Ginny and Pete DarbyIt was a big day for sure. With the benefit of few days of recovery, the views stand out most in memory.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago