To Bilboa - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2023

To Bilboa

We woke up this morning to the wind whistling through the terrace door of the flat. After a week of sunny days, clouds are gathering.  Clearly we're in for a weather change. Cian has left us bread, marmalade, yogurt and fresh orange juice for breakfast, an unusual perk for an Airbnb. 

After coasting down the hill from the apartment, we have a three mile climb that leads off with a super steep hill on bumpy corrugated concrete. Barry spins up out of sight while I chug along. 

Mural on the road out of Bakio
Heart 2 Comment 0
There's time to study the surface as I bump along up the road. The diagonal grooves probably work well to channel water off to the side.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Keith AdamsUGH. I can feel my bones shaking and teeth rattling, just looking at that texture.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsThis seems to be a favored road treatment on the extra steep bits.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rachael AndersonI hate roads like that!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Here I come, gasping
Heart 4 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonBad road and uphill but you did it!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonWhat else can you do? I bet you've done more than your share of these
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Anne MathersThose ridged concrete surfaces are a bear to cycle on. No fun going up or down 😜.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Still climbing, now on a great road. Half a dozen speedy guys on skinny tires whiz by as we soldier on.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsAhhhhhhhh sweet relief, provided by the nice smooth asphalt. MUCH better.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Lots of pretty scenes on the way up
Heart 3 Comment 0
These tourists have a sag vehicle hauling their gear. It's an appealing option.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The reward at the top
Heart 7 Comment 1
Ginny and Pete DarbyIs that an offshore windmill? Spectacular view. You continue to impress me.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Celebrating another hill conquest, hemlet hair and all
Heart 6 Comment 0

Pointing the bikes downhill we get to the best descent of the tour yet, a long gentle grade back down to sea level. Just like on the first beautiful part of yesterday's ride, there are many more bikes than cars out here on the road with us. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Love it
Heart 4 Comment 0
We're both puzzled by the lone windmill out in the water. What could it be generating power for?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Ginny and Pete DarbyPete is also intrigued by the windmill. Says it could be generating power for something ten miles away, or father. Looks like something suspicious from a James Bond movie.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Ginny and Pete DarbyTo Ginny and Pete DarbyMore from Ginny, Pete found a photo of the floating wind generator online, being towed into position, two miles offshore. It’s being tested, Spain’s first floating wind turbine. Power going into the local grid.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamFloating wind turbines! Pete's research sent me down a Wikipedia rabbit hole about them. I guess the power advantage from higher winds offshore must be enough to cover the cost of maintaining them in the ocean. So interesting.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
A look back at the craggy coast we've been following before we turn away from the Atlantic towards Bilbao
Heart 3 Comment 0

The car traffic is picking up now. Near Armintza we veer off the main road for a little ways on a pretty side lane by a sheep farm.  Then back on the main road, we continue into Plentzia.

The peace and quiet riding by the farm makes up for a little extra elevation going this way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Plentzia, a motor-free bridge over the estuary
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Plentzia
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Plentzia, we come to the wicked climb of the day. Barry is weaving back and forth to make DIY switchbacks. I'm walking.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not sure if these are early Halloween decs or if these characters are year-round hecklers for the cyclists laboring up the hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Aha! Barry eventually has to walk too.
Heart 3 Comment 0

With the big hills behind us, we ride on to Sopela and find a hamburger joint for sustenance. The burgers and buns are more dense and chewy than what we're used to. They taste just fine washed down with a cold Amstel. 

After lunch it becomes clear that we are on the outskirts of Bilbao. Most of the rest of the ride is on red bike paths. They are easy to spot on the transitions around the traffic circles. 

These are deluxe - wide, smooth and empty.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Near the marina in Getxo
Heart 2 Comment 0

West of Bilboa we stop to admire the Vizcaya Bridge, designed by the Basque architect Alberto de Palacio and completed in 1893. It was the first bridge to carry people on a suspended gondola. Considered a marvel of the Industrial Revolution, it merged 19th century ironworking traditions with newer  lightweight twisted steel cables. 

It's starting to rain so we pick up the pace and blow through the rest of the ride to our hotel in Old Town Bilboa.

The Vizcaya Bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
Railng of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gondola could be raised high above passing ships
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry spins up in the bike lane
Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite my whining about the hills, we have loved the beautiful scenes of the last three days along the Atlantic. I hope the extra work is getting us into better shape for Mallorca next week. In the meantime we'll ride out the rainy weather with some sightseeing in Bilboa tomorrow, and then on to Barcelona. 

A hopping scene by our hotel in Old Town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesThose hills look brutal, congrats on a climbing day well finished.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks Steve. We're enjoying a day off the bike after three days of up and down.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Janice BranhamA well deserved day off bike.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Today: 32 miles, 2,739 feet ascent

For the tour: 414 miles, 23,359 feet ascent

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 415 miles (668 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0