Bilbao's bonny buildings and bars - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2023

Bilbao's bonny buildings and bars

There weren't many large rooms available when I was looking in the historic quarter of  Bilboa. The advertised size of 151 square feet of this one was an abstract concept until we moved in. It's pretty small, and the bikes are taking a chunk of that space. I'm taking a more critical look at the square footage on the rest of our lodgings.  As the song goes, there'll be some changes made.

We could leave our bikes in the building entryway but that didn't feel great, so we bagged them and squeezed them into a corner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're impressed by the quality of the doors and windows everywhere we've stayed. The fit and finish on these is flawless.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsModern European windows are very nice. I've been particularly impressed at the type that can either tilt inward OR hinge vertically to open more fully, depending on which way you turn the handle.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsThese have that feature. It's very nice once you figure out how to operate them, which took me a while.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The ancient balcony looks out on a drab alley, but the scene is entertaining at night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

My legs are feeling the hills of the last three days. Of the 23,000-odd feet we've climbed since arriving in Prague last month, about half has come since we rolled into Spain five days ago. Barry says he feels fine but is happy to have a day off the bikes. They can chill by the window while we wander around Bilboa. 

We're a little confused in our search for La Ribera, the market in the old town. I'm expecting a crowded mass of open-air stalls but see only indoor shops for meat, fish, produce, quite a few things actually. We admire a handsome building across the street from the tram stop but it doesn't dawn on me that it could be the market. I'll figure that out later. No matter, there's plenty of entertainment around the neighborhood.

A host of handsome hanging hams
Heart 2 Comment 0
We walked right by the Mercado de la Ribera. There should be time to check it out tomorrow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lovely to walk the colorful streets of Old Town Bilboa
Heart 3 Comment 0
The overnight rain has washed them all clean
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Anton Church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great acoustics here for Spanish guitar
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Cathedral of Santiago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail of the arch over the handsome wooden door
Heart 3 Comment 0

The green tram zips us along the river to the marquee stop for today - the Guggenheim Museum Bilboa.  We take our time walking around to take in Frank Gehry's magnificent design from all angles. 

A stunning sight to see
Heart 7 Comment 0
Fascinating to watch the titanium scales that skin the walls bend the light as we walk by.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At a pop-up bubble fest in front of the museum, a rainbow of colors shimmers in the light that filters through the clouds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kids are having a blast with the buckets and bubble wands scattered around the plaza
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Between the museum and the river stands Louise Bourgeois' spider, called "Maman" in tribute to her mother. That must have been a complicated relationship. Fearsome 30 foot high legs protect a sac full of eggs under her body.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Ginny and Pete DarbyHah, understatement of the trip: “That must have been a complicated relationship.”
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Puppy, the 42 foot tall creation of American artist Jeff Koons, guards the museum entrance. Planned as a temporary structure, Puppy has become a beloved permanent resident.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Behind Puppy rises the graceful curved Iberdrola tower. At 165 meters it's the tallest skyscraper in northern Spain.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Completing our circuit around the Guggenheim, we pony up for tickets to go inside and do the audio tour. From the atrium, Richard Serra's massive steel sculptures draw us in to his "Matter of Time" exhibit. 

It's a little dizzying to walk through and around Serra's swoopy forms. Great fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Walking back out to the atrium we are just in time to hear the beginning of a choral performance. The sound is thrilling in this space. I've been lucky to be part of a few choral ensembles in past phases of life and am reminded what a joy it is to sing with a group. Here's a bit of their music with a look up and around the atrium.

There's much more to see here. We spend a fair amount of time in an exhibit of Picasso's sculpture called "Matter and Body," then exit to find some lunch and ogle more of Bilbao's architecture on the walk back.

Just one more before we go.... Picasso's "The Bathers." He made this happy bunch of beachgoers from a heap of old wood scraps. I hope we have more beach weather ahead of us this trip.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back outside, the trees are putting on their own show on the other side of the Nervion River.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Uribitarte Street the facade of an old stone warehouse stands in front of modern glass towers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Noticing a lot of beautiful red brick walls in the city
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church of San Vicente de Abando
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can't get through the day without a railing picture
Heart 2 Comment 0
Balconies wrap around the front of the Arriaga Theater, opened in 1890. I read that it was modeled on the Paris Opera House. Hmmmm...
Heart 3 Comment 0
I do see the resemblance in this picture of the Opera Garnier in Paris from our visit there last year. Yep, balconies.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's siesta time for Barry while I poke at the journal for awhile. We had a pretty big lunch this afternoon and are happy to snack on a few pintxos and take in the bar scene later on.

A wild scene outside our hotel, pretty much the usual I gather. The kids are out late tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Loved the plush back room at Con B de Bilbao Bar. There's an autographed photo of all four of the Golden Girls behind me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tiny tasty pork pie
Heart 1 Comment 0
This little nugget was making flirty eyes at us
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bilboa rivals Bourbon Street for beautiful bars
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonBilbao really is a beautiful city. There’s a lot here we’ve never seen even though we’ve been here three times now. We may have to go back.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamI'd come back here again. It's a confortable city, pleasant to walk, lots to see.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago