To Bayonne: Patientez - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2023

To Bayonne: Patientez

Our ride up the Canal du Midi has been a gentle ramp back up to touring with a load. We're both ready for our next hop from la tierra back to el mar. We'll have some hills to climb along the Atlantic as we ride through the country over the next week. Barry shrugs at the hills, he's felt just fine all along. 

This morning I'm getting a steady rhythm of messages from SNCF that our first train to Toulouse is 5 minutes late, then 10, then 15, 20 and ultimately 35 minutes late due to "law enforcement." We are definitely not going to make our 11:38 connection to Bayonne, but there's another one a couple hours later that I hope we can catch. 

While walking the bike out to the street I notice that my rack is swaying. There's another screw missing, this time at a heavy load point where the two arms of the rack attach to the frame. It seems that the bike is now conspiring with the luggage to mess with our plans. Fortunately Barry has a one more spare from the nice guy at the shop back in Montpellier. The threads are off at the end so it's fiddly but he manages to install it. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We mount up but don't get far because Barry's rear brake has just broken. Yesterday he replaced the pads, and the theory is that old brake had some metal fatigue that the grippy new pads have pushed over the edge. Merde.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsWow- that won't do at all! I've never seen anything like that.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsThe brake actually broke in two places. Very weird.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

The map shows there are lots of bike shops in Toulouse. Since we won't make the scheduled connection there, Barry should have time for a quick run to look for a brake before the next train at 1:30. Might as well get going on the first leg. We're close to the Carcassonne train station so he shouldn't need to employ the Fred Flintstone brakes.

At the Carcassonne station while we wait for our delayed train, I stand in line for 40 minutes hoping to get the tickets for the second leg to Bayonne changed to the next departure at 1:30. There are three ticket windows, only one open, and every customer seems to take at least 5 minutes. The agent stares mutely at her screen for long stretches. In my head I picture the credit card machines that say "Patientez" while your transaction grinds through. Wait patiently. 

When my turn comes up the agent says I'll have to change the tickets in Toulouse. That's ok because it's almost time to bolt for our train and I can't patientez any longer. Barry has already moved our bikes and gear up and down the stairs to the platform so we're ready when the train pulls up.

This friendly guy from Montreal hung my bike for me. He had more of a struggle muscleing his ebike up there.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In Toulouse, Barry leaves me at the ticket office with all the panniers and rides off to find a bike shop. There's no place close to lock up my bike so I thread the cable lock through the wheels and panniers to discourage any opportunists and leave it in sight of the security guard, then join the queue. Patientez.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The ticket agent offers to put us on a train to Bordeaux where we'll have to double back to Bayonne, arriving at 10:30pm. Besides the exhaustion factor, there is no attendant at our lodging in Bayonne after 6 pm and extra hurdles for after hours arrival. I ask about the 1:30 direct to Bayonne and he frowns, no space. 

Suspecting the bikes could be an issue, I tell him we have velos pliants - folding bikes, and we can bag them if that helps. It does, and there are two spaces left on the 1:30. The folders are our salvation! We'll get to Bayonne at 5:30 so there should be just enough time to reach the hotel before 6.

Barry rolls up as I'm walking out with our new tickets. He has a replacement for his brake, a used one that the owner of a nearby shop gave him, no charge. It looks to be in good shape.

Feeling very lucky to be on this train
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cruising by the Pyrenees on our way to the Atlantic
Heart 2 Comment 0

In Bayonne Barry needs more time to get his bike rolling so we waive the "stick together" pledge for the second time today so I can make the 6:00 check-in time while he finishes up.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Gotta go babe
Heart 3 Comment 0
Approaching our lodging, a peek at the cathedrale
Heart 4 Comment 0

At 5:59 I pull up to the imposing metal gate to our lodging, an extended stay hotel.  At the intercom when I press the button there's a long fast  automated greeting in French, followed by music, then silence. I make some noise, text the contact, and five minutes later someone comes to let me in. They process a $200 security deposit before handing over the key. None of this - 6 pm arrival, security deposit - was mentioned when I booked the place; that message came much later. But we're both here now and we're in.

Bienvenue?
Heart 1 Comment 0

Many of the door keys in France have baffled me and this one is the most finicky yet. When we leave to find some dinner, neither one of us can figure out how to get the key back out of the door. We spin the lock this way and that, experimenting with raising and lowering the handle. We can't very well leave it there. The woman I reach at the after hours number tells me we will just have to keep trying, nobody is available to help. Barry finally solves it - the key has to be horizontal to remove it, instead of vertical like every other one we've had.  This is easily my least favorite lodging of the trip. At least it's just for one night. Let's go eat.

More patientez
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWe’ve had a lot of issues with doors also.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonI'm lucky to travel with someone who has the patience to calmly keep trying
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Walking by the Cathedrale Sainte-Marie de Bayonne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In between the trendy boutiques in the city center, lots of meat shops
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Dinner at Brasserie Basa redeems the evening. My moules are wonderful and Barry enjoys his steak which is cooked "a point," a term our friend Terry suggested. Then it's back to the room for a brake job. 

We are excited to get back on the bikes tomorrow and find more of the famed Basque cuisine in the days to come. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
No Flintstone stops tomorrow
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 1 mile (2 km)
Total: 263 miles (423 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonPersevering through mother challenging day! You tow are getting experienced! And thanks for introducing me to the Flintstone stop. I’ve never heard that term.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsHere's hoping for a long succession of less-adventuresome days in your immediate future! You've had a pretty remarkable string of bad luck (as if you need *ME* to tell you that... ;) ) that would taint the experience in the eyes of less resilient souls.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Suzanne GibsonYou two are amazing at how well you are handling all the challenges that are being thrown at you! You continue to find solutions that make things work. Hope you don't have to exercise this prowess too often on the rest of your trip, though.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonIt works best accompanied by the Flintstone cheer...
Yabba dabba doo!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsThanks Keith. It's all part of the experience, but I could do with a little less adventure.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Suzanne GibsonThanks Suzanne. I'm pretty happy that we're still on schedule. Just keep swimming.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rachael AndersonI’m sorry you are having so many problems!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Ginny and Pete DarbyLove, love your “militant optimism,” which is really being tested. I get the feeling that there may be a travel book in the future for this marvelous adventure. Admire your grit!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago