In Carcassonne: The Fortress - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2023

In Carcassonne: The Fortress

With no particular schedule for the day, this is the first morning of the trip when we can really sleep in. Eventually the bells ringing from St. Vincent's church every 15 minutes get us moving. By 11:30 we're ready to venture out from our apartment in the Bastide Saint-Louis district to walk to the walled Cité of Carcassonne. 

We pass by Raymond Sudre's beautiful sculpture of Helena, mother of the Emperor Constantine, at the Museum of Fine Arts
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Pont Vieux over the Aude River leads us to the Cité.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The Cité is strategically situated on the main route between the Mediterranan and the Atlantic Ocean. Its history goes back 2,500 years to the Gallo-Roman era in the 6th century B.C.E. The castle, first built in the 11th century, was heavily fortified in the Middle Ages as the lords of the Trencavel dynasty battled for control with the French kings. The formidable defenses of the castle include double-walled ramparts, four gates, and 52 towers.

Entering the Cité
Heart 4 Comment 0
From the fortress we can just make out the Pyrenees in the distance to the south.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Inside the fortress we take the audio tour. It's a little hard to follow with background music overwhelming the narration, but still cool to walk through the towers and wooden galleries where the castle's defenders launched missiles on their assailants. We spend some time at the small museum in the castle where some of the architectural ornaments found here are displayed. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The barrel vault of the keep
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saint Nazaire Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0

After our tour, we find lunch in the pretty courtyard at Le Bar de Vins. I'm craving comfort food and order a Croque Monsieur, basically a fancy grilled ham and cheese. The fancy part turns out to be truffles that taste icky on my childhood favorite. 

Barry orders a burger "medium-well" with frites. It comes out medium on the outside, bloody on the inside, in a pink bun that looks like it's been stained with beet juice. He might try asking for future burgers to be cooked "bien cuit." Back in Sete that produced a steak cooked to death, but maybe it would work for a hamburger. Then again, we'll be in Spain in four days where the vocabulary is probably different.

The walk back towards our apartment is as interesting as the Cité.  There's time to have a look around the neighborhood and wander into a few shops. In a store stocked with treasures for a medieval armory, Barry finds a replacement for his missing pocket knife. We think that one escaped in his tumble down the bank by the canal a couple days ago.

Handsome souvenir of our visit to Carcassonne
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltNice it even has an imprint as a souvenir! Appears to be decent quality too with a nice wood finish and polished metal. Something really useful as well as being a remembrance.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Bill ShaneyfeltIt does have a higher level aesthetic than his usual mini Leatherman, and the blade is very sharp. Good find.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Janice BranhamI like knives. In my youth I was a fan of the Swiss Army line, and had a succession of them. It was possible to hone them to near-razor keenness fairly easily, but that meant they lost their edge just as easily. I hope Barry's new treasure has better steel in the blade.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Leaving the Cité
Heart 3 Comment 0
Frescos depict life in the middle ages
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Rue Trivalle
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Rue Trivalle
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back at the fortress from the Pont Vieux
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful windows in St. Michael's Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsInteresting lights, too.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsYes, I haven't seen anything quite like these.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We're  hoping to get the currency exchange errand done here. I've found only one Banque de France in Carcassonne, a couple blocks from our place. Through the intercom at the door, the receptionist explains that this is an administrative operation only. No banking services, certainly no money exchange. That's puzzling. If you don't do any customer service, what is there to administer?  At least we're close to the Monoprix. We pick up a few things for dinner and head back to the apartment, happy to have nothing planned for the rest of the afternoon. 

The bell tower of Saint Vincent Church near our apartment
Heart 3 Comment 0
The St. Vincent facade, a tough shot in the narrow streets here
Heart 2 Comment 0

I haven't been able to shift up to the big ring on my bike lately so Barry spends some time adjusting the front derailleur. While I rarely move fast enough to make use of it, it's nice to have on a flat stretch of good road. As I wheel it out to the street for a test ride I discover that another screw that secures the rack is gone, probably shaken out by the gravel of the last couple days. That's an opening for another luggage escape, not to mention a crash hazard. 

We're spoiled by an abundance of well-stocked bike shops at home and haven't seen anything like them yet this trip. Rich Frasier recommends the Fun Sports Cycles shop which is still open and not too far away, the same place that tuned up Keith Classen's bike a few days ago. 

We would both go, but Barry's front tire is soft again. In the interest of making sure we get the rack back together today he switches wheels with me and heads to the shop. Luckily they have the screw needed, plus tubes, snacks, a new tire for his front wheel and a larger water bottle. Wish I had thought to ask for CO2 cartridges to replace the ones I had to give up at TSA security three weeks ago.

Off to see the bike wizards at Fun Sports Cycles
Heart 4 Comment 0
Booty
Heart 2 Comment 3
Keith AdamsWow- a bike shop that actually carries 20 inch Schwalbe Marathons (Marathon PLUS, I notice!) in touring size, in stock- a rarity!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsYou have an excellent eye Keith. We've been lucky to find some really helpful bike shops lately.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Janice BranhamAfter my own experiences in 2022, tires suitable for the BF is a subject I'm very sensitive to / about. The general lack thereof "in the wild" (as opposed to online) is actually one of the reasons I've got mine up for sale.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

With my front wheel restored, I take a ride to test the derailleur adjustments and everything clicks into place perfectly. We have a nice space right outside the door to wash off the trail dust, and clean and lube the chain. It feels good to get it all shined up for the next phase of the trip. 

Ready to take on the Basque Country
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsA small bottle (like an ounce, perhaps less) of blue LocTite is a good thing to add to your standard carry kit. It'll keep those rack bolts securely in place. Well alright, the bottle won't but the contents will, if applied to the threads of the bolts.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsGood idea, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Tomorrow we'll roll the bikes onto the train for Bayonne. There's a 14 minute connection in Toulouse that could be tight, but at least we'll have control of our bags for this trip.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ginny and Pete DarbyLove Carcassone. We “stumbled” on it years ago on a Friday night during a torrential rainstorm. We ended up eating cassoulet in a bar with lots of locals—and tourists. I convinced the waiter that beer was better than wine to go with cassoulet. No one wanted to go out in the rain, so we stayed in and drank. As the evening progressed, the whole bar ended up toasting different tables and singing La Marseillaise, God Save the Queen and The Star Spangled Banner.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Ginny and Pete DarbyWow! You two really know how to find the fun
Reply to this comment
7 months ago