Tossa de Mar to Palamós - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2023

Tossa de Mar to Palamós

What a Beautiful Day

It really was a beautiful day. Keith is being helpful tonight. He is looking up synonyms for amazing for me. It was that kind of a day. 

It started with that terrific breakfast. We took full advantage and left Tossa well nourished. The ride was fantastic from the start. There were hills of course, but with the reward of views of the Costa Brava that just can’t be seen in the same way from a car. The beauty of a bike is that you can stop anywhere to gawk at the scenery. We certainly did. The traffic was also incredibly light and so respectful and careful. The weather was perfect. It was a Goldilocks day. Not too hot, not too cold, just right. 


A lovely couple in a camper van took this photo.
Heart 10 Comment 1
The views were awesome.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Down I go.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Someone (me) forgot to fill her water bottles this morning. Rookie mistake. We stopped at a resort where they happily filled them for me. This was the entry. Seemed to me a good bet that they would help me out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The only tunnel today. Note the cyclists in the background.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of my favourite rides for sure. I mean look at it!
Heart 6 Comment 0

It seemed there were more bikes than cars on the road between Tossa and Sant Feliu de Guixols.  Only five were touring though. Four were going the other way, and Hector was headed in our direction. He had done a much better job than we did of packing light. We met first at a viewpoint and again at another and the conversation was so enjoyable. 

Hector is an architect in Paris. He specializes in monuments. Such a fun encounter.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Do you see why I run out of superlatives?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hector and I heading out. So lightly trafficked we could ride side by side and chat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Keith stopped above to catch me coming down after the switchback.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0



On arrival in Sant Feliu de Guixols we stopped at their phenomenal beach for a cold drink and to take in the scenery. At this point it was 27°C but there was a breeze and light cloud cover so it was very comfortable. 


Bikes resting while we did too.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then the CN did a little bike magic and routed us onto parts of the Eurovelo 8 bypassing the busy road. We breezed through Sant Feliu on a great bike path. The path varied from pavement to a tightly packed natural surface. I loved it. We cruised through the trees and avoided the traffic, arriving at Platja d’Oro right by the beachfront. We stopped again for a snack and admired the view. 

It was a wonderful bike path. Shady, quiet and a good surface.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The CN did have to duck here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I don’t worry about navigation because my big guy has a lock on it, but he does amaze me. I am very lucky. Isn’t this dreamy?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Isn’t this lovely? The city was nearby, but out of sight and mind.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sculpture on the waterfront where we stopped for a snack.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Our first reflective photo of the trip, taken at the bench where we had our snack.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The way forward.
Heart 3 Comment 0

From that point on we were either paralleling the water or on a dedicated bike path all the way into Palamós. Just a stunning ride. Amazing, as I like to say. 

Once checked into our hotel we explored Palamós on foot. It is another appealing town. There is a Viking cruise ship tied up to the dock and an extensive pedestrian area. We stopped there to get out of the wind, which had piped up considerably, and have a post ride recovery beverage. We were lucky as we rolled into town as the wind was behind us. 

There is a cruise ship in this picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wandering through town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How I wish we had this sort of thing at home.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This bakery caught Keith’s eye.
Heart 4 Comment 1

We are just back from the best meal of the trip. Wine, good food and a fantastic day to discuss. We are loving this part of the world. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/vMq5e9de4Qq

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 76 km (47 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Steve Miller/GrampiesWow, what a difference a day makes.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenIt was just a perfect day. We were so happy to do it in the sunshine with those views to look at.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamJust amazing. Your navigator has mad skills.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
David MathersWe’re so happy you got to experience this ride on a good weather day! The Costa Brava is an amazing coastline for sure.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a wonderful day with spectacular photos!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenI was thinking about you two all day yesterday. Really wished you were here! We are riding to Lake Banyoles today. We love Girona. This trip is one of our top ten so far. Wait, we have only done eight 😂.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonIt was so relaxing too.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Janice BranhamHe really does. It is his superpower.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd sunshine for at least the next week.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago