Palamós to Girona - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2023

Palamós to Girona

Another Perfect Day

Heart 0 Comment 0

It has been another great day with a fantastic ride. It was completely different from yesterday’s ride but wonderful in every way. 

We really liked our hotel in Palamós. It was a very old building and to us, so atmospheric and unique. I had a laugh as in this hotel you had to close the bathroom door to access the shower versus Barcelona where you had to get in the shower to close the bathroom door.

Breakfast did not disappoint. It was delicious and served in the elegant dining room where we had our delicious dinner last night. 

We are gradually getting in the touring groove, but we really are out of practice. Don’t you just love snapping the panniers shut and discovering something you forgot to put in them?  One of our favourite activities it seems. Despite our best efforts, and setting an alarm, we weren’t rolling until after 10. 

The first part of the ride was bike lanes and beautiful scenery and then for a bit the bike path was beside the highway. It was a two way bike lane. We have several of these at home and we love them, but they certainly seem to get some people’s knickers in a twist. I laughed to think about what would be written in letters to the editor if they were to put one next to the highway at home. 



Heart 3 Comment 0
It worked just as brilliantly as they do at home.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then the CN routed us down the main drag for a time. Talk about a retail hub!   Storefront after storefront after storefront.  How they all make a living is beyond me. There was lots of traffic on this stretch and we alternated between the road and the very wide sidewalk depending on which was more advantageous. No one on the sidewalk gave the slightest glance and the respect you get from cars is unbelievable. 

We were soon at the turnoff for the route the CN had decided on and there were stairs. This is Europe though, so we were looked after. 

Such a small thing and it makes such a difference.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Down we go to the bike path.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was a dedicated bike route all the way to Girona. We both really enjoyed it. The surface was predominantly very hard packed fine gravel. Very straightforward to ride on. We gained elevation for the first 20 or so km but the grade was so gradual we hardly noticed. It didn’t have yesterday’s spectacular views, but it was gorgeous in a different kind of way. It was very well marked and I also felt it was great for Keith to have a break from navigating. There was no navigation necessary. It took us straight to Girona. There were lots of people enjoying the day on their bikes. It was a surprisingly varied ride as you will see below. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWe’ve ridden the Carrilet between Girona and Olot, but I didn’t realize that it ran the other direction to the sea also. We’ll have to put that on our list.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenSuch an easy route to follow. The first part of the route today was part of the EV8.
Very well maintained route with no issues at all.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesReally love those paths lined with trees.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we started looking for a place for a picnic and a cold beverage. We found the perfect spot just about 16 km from the end of the route. Thus fortified, we carried on. 

Another reflective moment.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We passed this remarkable building in the outskirts of Girona. What a great idea.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We cycled a bit on the opposite side of the river just to take a look at Girona before heading to our hotel. The hotel is in a great location with a fabulous bike room. There are some very expensive bikes in that room!   We went for a wander  around this lovely town before heading back for a drink on our hotel rooftop terrace. We knew the forecast was for rain in the evening. It made for a very interesting sky. 

Crossing one of the pedestrian bridges.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful photo!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Some bikes we admired on our walk.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a pretty dramatic sky. Looking the other way was blue sky and sunshine.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Scott AndersonBeautiful shot.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Then it was out to dinner. We chose a place on the main square and sat outside hoping the rain would hold off. It didn’t so we moved inside where we were seated next to three gorgeous young people, two of whom are competing in the 2023 UCI-E MTB Cross Country World Cup. They were a hoot, and the third, their mechanic, has serious beer catching skills. Their table got knocked sideways and the way he caught his beer, hardly spilling a drop, was worthy of an award. I wish we had a video. They were from Austria, Netherlands and Czechia. I don’t precisely recall how hockey came up, but that resulted in us meeting the couple on the other side from Minnesota. There was a jovial discussion about where the best hockey players come from. Canada of course, just so you know. 

Before the rain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are going to try and get to the competition tomorrow. They have an open invitation to come visit anytime, and we really mean it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked home in the rain discussing the fact that it has been another full and wonderful day. The forecast for tomorrow is sun all day long. 

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 126 km (78 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kelly IniguezDo you have a photo of the bicycle room at the hotel? That sounds interesting.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenWe did have but I accidentally deleted it cleaning up photos. Will take another shot and post it tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamThat bike path up from Castell d'Oro looks dreamy. Making notes for the indeterminate future.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago