Roses to Collioure - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2023

Roses to Collioure

Spain to France

Heart 0 Comment 0


What an absolutely fantastic day this has been. It had some up, it had some down, it had some unexpected moments, and we ended in a wonderful hotel with a rooftop pool and hot tub. Bike touring really doesn’t get much better than today. 

We decided on Collioure because it was highly recommended by our hotelier in Tossa de Mar. It turns out she really knew her stuff. This is a fantastic spot. But I am getting way ahead of myself here.

We started of course, with breakfast in Roses. After many cappuccinos we headed out of town on mostly flat terrain, sometimes on a bike route and sometimes on a very lightly traveled highway. It was a great warm up for the climb to come, Col de Banyules, which would take us up and over, in to France and back down to the coast. 

The bikes were safe and happy in their own garage.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Several spots selling colourful pottery just outside of Roses.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such a wide variety of items available.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiet highway or bike path to the turn off for Col de Banyul.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
We made a brief stop in Pau to look around.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We rode through many vineyards and opportunities for tastings. A bit too early for that.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Happy to have his picture taken.
Heart 3 Comment 0



What neither of us anticipated was how great today’s ride would be. To quote my daughter in law’s mother, it was a stunner. Definitely right up there in terms of amazing rides we have done. The road was basically our personal bike lane we saw so few cars. The scenery was gorgeous and the climb was rewarding. 

There were some steep pitches.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our own private byway.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Going up!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Nearing the top.
Heart 2 Comment 0



At the top there was a large supported hiking group taking up the refuge that is there, so we dropped down to a picnic lunch spot with the best view of the tour. 

Support group vans parked directly in front of the Col sign. I guess they weren’t expecting any cyclists who would want their picture taken.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Chief Photographer did a good job of framing the photo.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI think the subject deserves a little credit too.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Front wheel in France, back wheel in Spain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Unbelievably beautiful and shady spot for a picnic.
Heart 7 Comment 0



The descent was steep. It certainly would be a challenging climb from the other direction. We had 10% and more inclines to deal with, but we both agreed it seemed there were more steep pitches coming the other way, albeit perhaps a shorter but more intense climb. That is when we met Louisa, a solo tourer, coming up. I knew what she had to look forward to, and bravo to her. It was another fun encounter on the road. 

Brave young woman. Solo touring, killer hill ahead and destination Morocco.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We continued enjoying the descent into Banyuls sur Mer where we stopped briefly for a cold drink. Then the next bit of climbing began, not on the expected quiet French D road, but on the very busy French D road. For friends at home it felt exactly like we were riding the Malahat. Something we avoid doing!   We dropped into Port Vendres and had another cold drink. Then the final push to Collioure on a quiet D road and up to our hotel. That part was quite funny because the CN rode right past it and try as I might I couldn’t get his attention. He heard me whistling but decided to get to the top of the hill to see what I wanted. Made sense to him!

A cold drink available here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the D road. Wide shoulder and it felt safe, just noisy after the silence of the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
As the lady next to me said, incroyable!!!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming in to Collioure.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rooftop pool. We took full advantage.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Colourful boats.
Heart 5 Comment 0
View from dinner.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Best meals of the trip so far.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Yum!
Heart 4 Comment 0

We love our hotel. We have lounged around in the rooftop pool and been for dinner at a spot recommended by the hotelier. Les poissons, definitely the best meal of the trip. What an incredible day. 

Heart 6 Comment 0

Once more Relive stopped before we did. Here is what we have. 

https://www.relive.cc/view/vdvmXwNJ4Nq

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 380 km (236 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rich FrasierThe Col de Banyuls is such a sweet ride! You are both heroes for doing it fully loaded! Collioure is a great reward for all that work - good to see you enjoying it!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich - yes it was a great day. We are glad we spent today exploring Collioure. What a delightful spot to spend a relaxing day. No hills tomorrow as we head up the coast most of which I think is on the EV8.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jacquie GaudetWe were in Collioure in 1992 and thought about a day ride south to say we’d been to Spain. We didn’t do it, though, because of the very busy, no-shoulders highway. It seems things have changed in the last 30 years! I think an autoroute was built to take most of the traffic off the coast road.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie - we had contemplated doing the coastal route from Roses to Collioure but chose the interior route instead when we compared the elevation differences between the two. We met two bike tourers today who just completed the coastal route yesterday cycling over 100 kms north from Cadaques on their way to Marseille. They said the traffic was not bad but commented it would be much busier in the summer. Sure seems like summer now with the great weather we have been getting.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago