Collioure - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2023

Collioure

Fabulous City

We are turning into real tourists. Last night when we went to bed the plan was to continue along the coast on the bikes after a quick walk about in Collioure. This morning over an excellent breakfast we decided both the town and the hotel were too great to give such short attention to. Besides, it is 34°C as I sit poolside writing this, so we are happy to feel so relaxed. Our hotel is wonderful. The people who run the place are part of its charm. 

Highly recommended. Just slightly out of the tourist zone it is an oasis of calm. There is a great view from the pool and hot tub on the roof, and we have a huge terrace with a view.
Heart 3 Comment 0

So after that sumptuous breakfast we walked 500 m down the hill and began exploring the alleys and waterfront in the old town. What a beautiful place. 

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Lots of people on the beach and in the clear, clear water.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
There are those Optimists again. Sound carries over water and we could hear the kids giggling from where we were.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

It wasn’t long before we were sitting waterside people watching and sipping cappuccinos. Then we headed up to tour the massive Château Royal de Collioure. The views were stunning and the château itself was well presented with a self guided English tour. My favourite part was the return to the exit by subterranean tunnels. I loved it. There was an art exhibit as well, and we both really liked the art. 

An absolutely massive wall. Very imposing.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking out from the Château.
Heart 4 Comment 0
More views.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The artist is Raphael Martinez.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We liked his style.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The water is so clear.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Going down to the tunnel below the castle.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After that it was a street side lunch and I am still full. I indulged in one of those roasted chickens where all the juices run down onto the potatoes below. Seriously yummy, but I won’t need to eat again for hours. Healthy Keith had a salad. We meandered back to the room for a little laundry and a rest and then headed back out for more exploration. We sourced wine, cheese, tapenade, a baguette and grapes and will dine tonight on our terrace. 

Heart 3 Comment 0

Then, in the true spirit of being on holiday, we lounged by the pool and went for a swim.

How great is this?
Heart 6 Comment 0
Sherlock and I became acquainted poolside.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Dinner on our generous terrace followed, with a competition for best picture of our wine. We will be riding tomorrow and the weather forecast is for a high of 32°C. It will be interesting to see where we end up!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David MathersNice collection of photos from colourful Collioure! Sounds and looks like you are having a great vacation 👍
Reply to this comment
7 months ago