Tues Nov 20 - Final ride Cape of Good Hope - Bucket List South Africa - CycleBlaze

Tues Nov 20 - Final ride Cape of Good Hope

1st course - kale, ricotta, pancetta and herbs
Heart 1 Comment 0
2nd course - rooibok, cherry, shiso
Heart 0 Comment 2
Gail JohnsonWhat is rooibok?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Margaret KavanaghAnother type of antelope. I have not seen one yet except on my plate.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
3rd course - ash goat cheese, strawberries, basil
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dessert - cheesecake, pineapple, macroon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was our last ride but it was a good one.  We started with the wonderful experience of visiting an SA kindergarten (aka nursery school) run by the most amazing woman.  I would guess she is about 60+ and Mavis started running a school of her home about 20 years ago.  She had over 50 children in her home at one point so she clearly out grew the space and went looking for another location.  Once found she gradually grew with donations for various sources including African Bikers.  At the moment she has 150 children from infants to age 6 but she only receives government money for less than half and not all parents can afford the mere 2.60R ($0.26 Cdn) a month so she needs donations.  She is truly inspiring.

After the visit we drove to the Cape of Good Hope and hiked for about an hour from their to Cape Point. Just after 1PM we started our ride from the Cape back to the city along the Atlantic side of the Cape.  Again the view were spectacular.  We saw a full whale breach and sighted several others.  Tim and I both got in the van after Chapman’s Peak because we were approaching the city in rush hour traffic and I was not going to tempt fate.  Last night we went out for dinner with 2 of the physicians who work with Tim but just happen to be back in SA visiting family.  The meal was tapas like where you picked what you wanted off a list.  The minimum was 3 courses which is what I had plus dessert.

The kids singing for us with Mavis standing in the doorway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the younger kids just about to have a snack since they have been at the school since 6AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another photo of the kids singing for us. They are at the school from 6AM to 6PM. They are fed breakfast, snacks and lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mavis and our guide Thomas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cape that was first called Cape Storm but the fear was that sailors would not want to go around Africa so the name was changed to the Cape of Good Hope.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim and me in our new cycling jerseys with Cape Point in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLove the jerseys!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Same view without us in front of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view in the other direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Elun antelope viewed on our hike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This flower is called Cape snow because the Cape terrain looks like it is covered in snow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A field of Cape snow flowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road up to Chapman’s Peak.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of Hout Bay from the top of Chapman’s Peak.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 566 km (351 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonWhat a wonderful way to end your tour. Love the landscape, Cape Snow and especially Mavis and her beautiful school. Not sure about some of the food, but good for you for trying it all.

Congratulations to both you and Tim! Time to come home now and then to Arizona!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago