Bucket List South Africa - Bucket List South Africa - CycleBlaze

October 30, 2018 to November 27, 2018

Bucket List South Africa

Cycling and safari

A monument to the 347,000 horses that were killed in the Boer War.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A map of our cycling adventure except we are going from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town followed by a safari in Kruger National Park.

Mon Nov 5 - Port Elizabeth

After a late start this AM we took a $3 Uber into the city proper to The Donkin which is the highest point in PE.  Nelson Mandela is remembered everywhere in this city and there’s is an amazing monument called Route 67 on the top of the hill.  There I should also a lighthouse that’s we climbed, of course, and oddly enough a pyramid that is a memorial.  We then wandered the town taking a couple of museums and looking about at some of the older structures.  We accidentally found another amazing exhibit to Mandela called 67.  It is a series of beaded works done by various women’s artists representing the 67 years he dedicated to public service and the improvement of life for all Africans regardless of race, creed or colour.

Tim at the Donkin with the lighthouse and the pyramid in the background. The pyramid was built as a memorial to a woman named Elizabeth who died young. The Port was named after her as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another Mandela saying at the Route 67 memorial.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me with Mandela at the top of the memorial.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonGreat photo!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tim on the steep stairs inside the lighthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The King Edward Hotel that was opened by Abraham Lincoln in 1885.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the early cottages built in 1860.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We toured a museum that exhibited and explained the bead work used in the native cultures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mobile coffee shop.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonSign me up!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The 67 exhibit of beaded tiles about Mandela.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up for 1991 when all of the political prisoners were freed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On of many quotes by Mandela. It applies to many parts of the world today, some very close to home.
Heart 1 Comment 1
The port in Port Elizabeth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fort Frederick built in 1799 to defend the port but no shot was ever fired in anger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horsing around at a children’s playground.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Sun Nov 4 - Cape Town day 4

NOTE I HAVE STARTED ADDING NEW ENTRIES AT THE BEGINNING SO YOU DONT HAVE TO SCROLL TO THE BOTTM TO SEE WHAT IS NEW.

Today we departed for Port Elizabeth the city from which we begin our cycling adventure.  We spent our last morning in Cape Town wandering about and visiting the Castle of the Cape of Good Hope.  A good idea because the winds returned today plus Table Mtn, while open, was covered in dark cloud so zero visibility.  We have been lucky with the weather so here’s hoping it continues.   The castle was built in the 1600s on the water front to defend Cape Town.  It is a classic 5 sided fort similar to the Citadel in Halifax.  We also just happen to come across the location where Nelson Mandela first addressed the nation after his release from prison.  

An example of the old architecture of Cape Town. It is not unlike and Australian Queenslander building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim with statues of 4 famous African warriors all of whom were imprisoned in the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cape was first discovered by Portugal’s Vasco de Gama but they never settled here permanently.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the reason the Portuguese never settled was because they were massacred by local tribesmen in 1510.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A model of the Castle of Good Hope.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the courtyard of the castle there were many artisans. One of them made these amazing 3D paintings to capture the loca area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tim exiting the castle/fort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
City hall where Nelson Mandela made his first speech after being released from prison in Feb 1990.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up him on the balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is no reason to quit my Diet Coke habit here. The price translates to $1.50Cdn for a litre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We left our mark on the beach in Port Elizabeth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tim putting his feet in the Indian Ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Tues Oct 30

We are off on our adventure.

For the first time ever we sat in the upper deck bubble, nice!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Enjoying some bubbles in the upper deck of the 747 that took us to Frankfurt. Now lounging in the Sheraton hotel since we have a 14 hour layover.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jim HaileWe stayed at Frankfurt Airport too. Amazing mall.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Thurs Nov 1 - Cape Town day 1 

I know that there has been no mention of cycling but it will come in do time.  At the moment we are adjusting to 9 hours of time change and 40+ hours of travel.  We arrived in Cape Town about noon local time and settled into the hotel for a short rest.  Later in the afternoon we wandered the community garden, the city and the water front.  It was extremely windy today so there was no point in trying to go up table mountain but I did get a couple of nice photos.  

A view of the famous Table Mountain with the cloud (table cloth) on top.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Squirrels feeding in the garden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are bike paths throughout the city but I only saw 2 cyclists all afternoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The walk sign does give you pause.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kayak basketball in the canals near the wharf.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is spring here and I captured this red winged starling feeding her young.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Table Mountain across a harbour with some small boats, not.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A monument to the 4 Nobel Peace prize winners from South Africa. We could name 3 but had to read the 4th.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Deb HunterIs it the angle of the photo or the sculptures themselves - the proportions seem odd? Like pygmies?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
There is a busker festival in Cape Town right now. These guys were singing Italian opera African style.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Deb HunterI would love to hear that. Very cool.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Down at the water front. Yes I am wearing a fleece there was a cool breeze today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These seals were coming to the dock for the evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The SA flag on the wall of McDonalds.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Fri Nov 2 - Cape Town day 2

Today was a busy day.  We started the day about 10 AM with a circuit on the hop on hop off bus.  The route took us along the east coast from the main city.  Once we completed the circuit we went to Table Mountain to take the cable car to the top.  The ride was only 5 min in duration but we had to queue for 40 min to get on the car with 40 other people.  This was not bad because the wait in the AM was 2 hrs.  The cable car was very interesting because the floor rotated so everyone got the 360 degree view.  Once on top we wandered about taking in the amazing view.  We descended later in the afternoon and took the bus back to the waterfront.  Tim dragged me to the modern art museum.  The building, a converted grain elevator, was very interesting but the art not so much.  On the way back to the hotel we stopped for a cocktail and dinner in a very interesting bar called The Twankey.

So do you think it is windy here, just look at the sideways tree.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cable car to the top of Table Mtn
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love this sign for people who want to rappel off Table Mtn. “Dope on a Rope”
Heart 0 Comment 1
Deb HunterI think not.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tim with the lion’s head and the city in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Table Mountain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim captured this red winged starling in flight up on Table Mtn.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tim on top of the mountain with the harbour below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me on top of the mountain with Table Mtn in the background.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Deb HunterIt doesn't look quite so table-like from that angle.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The two of us down at the V&A harbour. With
Heart 1 Comment 0
Table Mtn as we road up to the cable car on the bus. It is impressive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The coast line east of Cape Town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A dassie which believe it or not is related to the elephant. To me it looks like a ground hog without a tail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cable car descending with the Lion’s head in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tim in front of the modern art museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A reggae band performing in the harbour area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This painting is called The Passover. You may recognize some of the suspects in the painting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim enjoying a Bubbles n Suds at the Twankey where we had dinner and then went back to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sat Nov 3 - Cape Town day 3 

Today was a truly amazing day.  We started with a visit to the Langa Township the home for many blacks.  In SA they separate blacks from coloureds based upon a historical past but things are slowly changing.  The biggest challenge in the Capetown area is housing so the townships are very crowded with many shacks in shanty towns.  It is sad to see but there are cultural and historical reasons why it is what it is.  (To difficult and complicated to explain here) Nonetheless the townships exist and something needs to be done but it is going to take government action and cultural adaptation to be successful. While touring this area we never felt threatened indeed we felt welcomed. We got a very good understanding of the history between the Dutch, English, and Africans who lead to today.  Apartied only started in 1948 after WWIIand strongly influenced by the Nazi regime complete with personal documents for all black/coloured people.  The documents were called “dom pass” meaning “stupid pass” so you know what the whites thought of the blacks.  You could go to jail if you did not carrry your book at all times.

In afternoon we went to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years.  Our tour guide was a former political prisoner who had spent 7 years at Robben Island.  He explained that his 6 months in detention were  far worse than his 7 years in jail because he was repeatedly tortured while in dentention but not in prison.  Robben Island in Dutch means the island of the seals since there were 1000s of seals here when the Dutch arrived.  The island stareted as a provision point for ships and later became a prison for slaves, then common criminals and finally political prisoners such as Mandela.

A shop and housing in Langa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim purchased a painting of the township from the community shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our guide tasting home brewed beer. We tried it as well but it is not high on my list of beers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another shop in the township.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More housing/shops. An open barrel bbq was a common way to cook.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The “dom pass” book dating back to the 1960 into the 70s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A community water source.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A monument to several peaceful protestors who were killed when police opened fire on them. Ultimately the police chief was imprisoned and is still there today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shanty town, representing the housing crisis.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A monument to the 7 men who were gunned down by police.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A monument to a young American woman who was in SA to help the underprivileged. She was caught in the action with the police.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example of the new upscale housing. It makes me feel amazingly privileged.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The painting Tim purchased.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ferry boat approaching Robben Island which is 11km off Cape Town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Solitary confinement for prisoners.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The school that was on the island for the children of the prison staff living on the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Penguins on the shore of the island.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lime quarry where the prisoners did manual labour often digging with their bare hands for hours per day in the hot sun. After the prison closed there was a reunion of former prisoners including Nelson Mandela. Mr Mandela quietly picked up a rock and dropped it here, he was followed by the others. Each rock represents a prisoner who did not survive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Solomon aged 22 was hung in Pretoria. His last words are indeed profound for such a young man.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our tour guide and former political prisoner for 7 years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guide pointing to a photo of Nelson Mandela and his advisor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mandela’s cell for 18 years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with our wonderful and informative guide. As a former prisoner he lived the Robben Island experience yet he was not bitter rather hopeful for the future. Truly inspiring.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tim’s new T shirt espousing his philosophy for life.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tim escaping prison.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mandela is referred to the father of the nation and Cape Town is called the mother city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Deb HunterI'm going to be especially interested in this one. Christina did her semester abroad (5 months) in Pietermaritzburg, about an hour out of Durban, and traveled extensively in SA, including Kruger. This should be a fabulous adventure. A word to the wise - watch out for the monkeys!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jim HaileLooking forward to seeing you peddle past a lot of wildlife. Just remember, don’t be last in line.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonLooking forward to this. We’ve had this one on our own short list for awhile.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Gail JohnsonGlad you arrived safely and that you are get ready for the ride,. Bummer about the wind,, could see the flag at attention in one of your photos. Looking forward to reading about this adventure.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Margaret KavanaghAll is good. We are adapting to the time change and enjoying Cape Town. Tomorrow we are off to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner. Mon we head to Port Elizabeth to meet up with the cycle tour group.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Carol DunlopLooking forward o following Alaina on your journey. Bummer about wind. We were able to climb up and down Table Mnt when we were there. Are you doing the wine route?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jim HaileLove the pictures. South Arrica looks fabulous. You and Tim look like you are having fun.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Gail JohnsonYou are truly seeing it all. Your commentary and photos of shanty town and the prison are most moving. Loved Tim's picture that he bought and the views from Table Mountain are breathtaking.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesHi we would love to follow your blog but are finding it too confusing to read. Perhaps if you would make a new entry for each day rather than having one long run on entry it would be easier for readers to follow. This seems to be how most writers use this site. Hope you can make the switch over to one entry for each day so we can go back to the start and read progressively along.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago