Mon Nov 26 - Wrap up - Bucket List South Africa - CycleBlaze

Mon Nov 26 - Wrap up

I am sitting in the lounge at the Frankfurt airport having arrived from SA and waiting to fly to Vancouver.  I thought that I would take the time to summarize some thoughts about my trip.  As I mentioned yesterday this was a trip of a lifetime and it did not disappoint.  As for the cycling I am truly a “roadie” and riding mountain bikes is fun as a compliment to road riding but I will never become a true mountain biker.   I would do a trip like this again but only with an e-bike to assist on the tough off tarmac sections.

As for South Africa itself.  It is truly a beautiful country with lovely people, amazing food and wine the latter two of which are very inexpensive.  I never felt unsafe here but then again we were always escorted by our driver and cycling guide.  Through these two gentlemen we learned a great deal about the current political situation and the crime issues in the country.  Sadly SA is a country that needs better leadership or I fear it will become just another corrupt African country.  There is so much potential there given its rich history but things have not improved much since the days of Mandela, something that is sad to see.  I do not want these thoughts to discourage people from going to SA because with the right plans you can have a truly amazing experience.  

In closing I want to thank Keith our driver whose family roots go back generations to the Cape area.  Also Thomas our guide from African Bikers.  He is native to Namibia but now calls SA home.  He was an absolute font of knowledge and a pleasure to have as our guide.  African Bikers offers many great trips throughout SA and other regions of Southern Africa so if interested give them some thought.   The organization worked to a tee and the trip, in my opinion, was good value for money.

On to the next adventure.

Travelling is tiring even with the luxury of business class seats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonThanks again for posting this. We think a lot about whether to bike here. We would love to, but feel insecure about it. We may look at your tour organizer.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Margaret KavanaghI would not hesitate with African Bikers they are very good. No issues what so ever about safety.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago