Mon Nov 19 - Back to the coast - Bucket List South Africa - CycleBlaze

Mon Nov 19 - Back to the coast

We started the day with a walking tour of Stellenbosch.  Since our guide Thomas is a nationally certified guide he was more than qualified to lead us to some of the sites.  This university town has a great deal of street art and for me the most impressive was in front of the library.  At first look it appears to be a map of South Africa on one side and the Cape on the other side.  But, when you look through your camera and take a photo the face of Nelson Mandela shows up.  There was also a small market so Tim and I had a little more retail therapy.  Once we finished the tour we drove to Kleinmond where we got on the bikes and rode 50km along the coast to Gordon’s Bay.  The coast line was as beautiful as ever.  We had one special stop at the Stony Plain penguin colony the largest in SA.  There must have been several 1000 African penguins on the rocks since it is moulting season.  We also saw some more baboons on the side of the road.

The Mandela artwork.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting door. Historically the doors were divided like this one but the bottom part was always closed in case an animal came by. If it did it would be shot through the open part.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fixing another flat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach at the start of the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Three cute penguins
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonGreat PHOTO!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Coromorants
Heart 0 Comment 0
Penguins lining the beach by the thousands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Their nickname is jackass penguins because their sound is similar to a jackass.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another cutie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop. Do not feed the baboons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The coast road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The coast road in the other direction.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An interesting warning system about sharks in the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lodging for tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our new purchases.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My new artwork.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tim’s piece.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gordon Bay beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset over Gordon Bay.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 515 km (320 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonToday's photos were the best! Love all the penguin and birds.
How much better can it get than riding along the coast and seeing such incredible views?
Art work - two thumbs up for both of you. 👍👍
And your stay for the evening looks fabulous. Hope you can take a bit longer shower and a good flush.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago