Wed Nov 21 - Final day in Cape Town - Bucket List South Africa - CycleBlaze

Wed Nov 21 - Final day in Cape Town

M

Today is our last day in Cape Town for tomorrow we fly to Kruger NP for 3 nights with a full day safari one day and a morning and evening  combination the other.  As for today the whole group started with a visit to the botanical gardens, a massive garden within a huge property.  The garden specializes in native South African plants.  Once we finished the visit the German contingent of our group and the guide hiked the 1.5km up the Platteklip Gorge to the top of Table Mtn.  The plan was to take the calendar car down but sadly for them I the winds were to high and they had to walk down as well.   As a result they were not done their day until about 5PM.  Tim and I had already been up Table Mtn so we opted to go to the Christian Barnard museum at the local hosital, the exact site where the first heart transplant took place.  It was a guided 1.5hr tour that was very informative.  Barnard was a brilliant man, a gifted surgeon and a medical pioneer but he was also a bit of a philanderer.  He was known to be an absolute task master and difficult in the OR to the point of even throwing instruments when he wasn’t happy.  

Dinner tonight was at an African restaurant.  It was family style with multiple portions but truly interesting and tasty.

A variety of African amaryllis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A variety of the bird of paradise called Mandela’s Gold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The back side of Table Mtn. The hikers went up the gap in the mountain to the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A variety of Proteus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Proteus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 3rd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A recreation of Dr Barnard’s office.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The exact OR where the first heart transplant took place right down to the clock on the wall when the heart started to beat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The menu for tonight’s family style dinner was listed on this jar. It was an assortment of African specialities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim had his face painted African style.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So did I.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A very lovely African quilt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some music after dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonAmazing flowers! And how interesting to be able to tour Dr. Barnard's office and operating room.
Love the face painting on you and Tim. I think it is a look you should consider going forward. Next stop, tattoo parlor?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0