Fouriesburg - The tenth step ... SISA Episode II - CycleBlaze

April 4, 2021

Fouriesburg

We had wonderful cycling weather today.  Clear skies, not too warm and practically no wind.  I had been a bit worried about the road after the section from Ladybrand to Ficksburg and it turned out to be not as bad as it could have been nor as good as I hoped for.  The traffic load was light to moderate but the practically nonexistent shoulder made for some tight moments.  What made up for it were the classical eastern Free State views of craggy hills with the Maloti Mountains across the Caledon River to the east.

It was the standard eastern Free State hilly ride with the longest climb being reserved for near the end of the ride.    We took it slowly and stopped often for photographs and to take in the views.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We encountered some dense stands of cosmos along the way.
Heart 1 Comment 1
The Maloti in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAn odd photo. She’s so remote. Did you have to give her a time out for bad behavior?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fouriesburg is a surprisingly neat and organized looking town, particularly after the mess of Ficksburg, Ladybrand and Wepener that preceded it.  Tomorrow we have a short but tough day to Clarens, the main tourist town in the area.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,051 km (653 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0