Colchester - The tenth step ... SISA Episode II - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2021

Colchester

We had a good meal at the Zuurberg Inn last night.  Maybe slightly too good because we felt short on fizz this morning.  We made full use of the great breakfast on offer and waddled out replete some time after ten o'clock.

The run down to the R342 was mostly very relaxed and effortless.  Just like yesterday, there was very little traffic - only four vehicles of which three were encountered in the last kilometer to the R342.  Then it was a busy fourteen kilometers on the main road to Port Elizabeth before we turned back onto the gravel R335 that ran us down to Colchester.

Addo town itself was as busy and congested as a tiny country town can be but we needed to stop to pick up some bananas for lunch and some drinks to see us through the last thirty kilometers.

Some lovely views across the valleys in the foothills to the Zuurberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of shade to start off with on the downhill but very little once we got to the Sundays Rivers Valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Algoa Bay in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We dropped about five hundred meters over the first thirteen kilometers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roadkill again, this time a porcupine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A short hold up as a very long goods train rumbles across the level crossing that gave us entrance to the R335.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the R335 was much rougher than we could remember and we had to push hard into a tough headwind.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived at our pick up spot in Colchester just as Carel's VW Microbus.  The short ride back to Port Elizabeth passed in a blur of conversation as we caught up with news from each other.

The big question was - when and where to next ?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,195 km (1,363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rich FrasierCongratulations on finishing another tour! I really enjoyed your photos - gave me a new appreciation for the beauty of the South African landscape. It was great to follow along with you...hope to see another journal soon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingOne of the benefits of lockdown is that people are exploring their own home land and sharing their experiences.
Thanks for another great journal.

Mike
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomGlad you enjoyed it Mike. It's great having someone like you who has deep understanding of context reading it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Rich FrasierGlad you enjoyed it Rich. The payment for the scenery comes in the form of hills, hills, and hills.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
John SaxbySuper, Jean-Marc -- congratulation to you and Leigh! Loved your photos of land, sky, and plants (roadkill, not so much, but it's a sad reality), loved your stories.

Look forward to your next adventure, wherever & whenever.

Take care, John
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dino AngeliciVery nice and informative journal. I enjoyed following along with this and the others that you recommended to me. Much obliged.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago