On the road again - The tenth step ... SISA Episode II - CycleBlaze

On the road again

After a six week break after the ninth step we are about to hit the road again.  Current travel restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic mean we will still be limited to roaming around South Africa and that situation is unlikely to change for a while.  The indignities of long haul air travel in cattle class is something about which we can only dream.  So we will instead experience some more of our home country from the comfort of a Brooks saddle. 

The past six weeks have been occupied by work and family commitments and seem to have passed very quickly and yet dragged on for too long at the same time.  It was the right time of the year to take a break.  The weather should start cooling down as we approach the end of summer and I am guessing that, from a weather point of view, the next couple of months should be the best for cycle touring South Africa.

We have decided to travel a bit lighter than usual on this trip and will not be taking any camping gear apart from cooking equipment.  We only camped for five nights over the two months of the ninth step and aren't sure that the extra weight of tents and sleeping bags etc could be justified.

We have booked accommodation for the first three nights of the trip.  Firstly at Addo Elephant National Park, then at the Zuurberg Inn, halfway over the original Zuurberg Pass and then at Anne's Villa on the northern side of the pass.  We have also been in contact with Warmshowers hosts in  Pearston, Nieu Bethesda and Middelburg so we have a pretty good idea of what our route will look like for the first week or two. After that it is anyone's guess but the idea is to head towards Golden Gate National Park which is near the border between the Free State and KwaZulu-Natal provinces.  I'm not sure if that is where we will end up but we need something at which to aim. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetOn our first tour in Europe after a 23-year hiatus (kids, work, ...) we brought camping gear but opted not to bring cooking gear. We camped exactly once in 3 weeks, and it was so hot we didn't even take out our sleeping bags. If/when we return to Germany, we won't bother with camping. While there, we were told by German friends that, though they camp in other places, they don't in Germany.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Jacquie GaudetFour years we did a six month trip (the 3rd Step), first through Japan (with quite a bit of camping) then South Korea (very little camping) and then Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam with no camping at all. We lugged all that camping gear all the way through south-east Asia and never used it so we have been primed to avoid carrying it if we don't need to.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Jean-Marc StrydomAl has a limited tolerance of camping these days so, if we are touring together, we don't bring camping gear if there are other reasonably-priced accommodation options. So we camp in BC and of course I camp if I'm solo for cost reasons.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago