Ficksburg - The tenth step ... SISA Episode II - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2021 to April 3, 2021

Ficksburg

We have spent the past two days doing very little here in Ficksburg.  We have managed to get through quite a bit of work and I also spent a bit of time cleaning and tuning the bicycles' brakes.

Yesterday most of Ficksburg was closed. including the local supermarket.  It seems that Good Friday is observed more rigidly here on the platteland than in the cities.  We had hoped to pick up some pizzas for supper but the only establishment from which food was available was the local KFC.  One thing I find truly repulsive is the aroma (maybe that should malodourous pong ?) of KFC but beggars can't be choosers and I managed to get a Colonel Burger and chips (french fries) down my throat.

Ficksburg lies in a beautiful location between the hills and the Caledon River. It is such a pity that the town itself has got quite ugly.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ficksburg lies on the banks of the Caledon River which serves as the border between South Africa and Lesotho along Lesotho's north-west border for more than two hundred kilometers.  Today we decided to take a ride down to the border post in the hope of looking across the river to the mountain kingdom.  Unfortunately, the border post is set back from the river and the scene is little different from any other border post between developing countries.

I was about to take a photo of my bicycle at the border post when a police sergeant called out to me that it was not allowed. But as they say, TIA, and after a long and friendly chat about our travels by bicycle he invited me to take a picture! FWIW TIA="this is Africa".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many of the old sandstone houses are in poor condition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But the Dutch Reformed Church is still in good nick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head for Fouriesburg up the shoulderless R26.  Hopefully the traffic will be lighter than between Clocolan and Ficksburg.

Today's ride: 7 km (4 miles)
Total: 1,001 km (622 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Dino AngeliciIs Lesotho a friendly country?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Dino AngeliciAs with most poor countries, the people in Lesotho tend to be very friendly and helpful, particularly in the more rural areas, which in Lesotho is almost everywhere.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Dino AngeliciTo Jean-Marc StrydomThank-you. Good to know. I was wondering why you didn't go there, on this tour, since you were so close. Covid restrictions, I suppose?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Dino AngeliciYes, we would have needed a PCR test to cross the border into Lesotho and another to cross back into South Africa.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago